Asteroids (Saturday Puzzle, April 20)-Hex Cryptic Crossword

Enter if you dare!
jenirvin

Asteroids (Saturday Puzzle, April 20)-Hex Cryptic Crossword

Post by jenirvin »

Does anyone else do the cryptic crosswords? They were my "gateway drug" to the crossword contest. I'm sure no matter what the puzzle we all feel a bit like this after solving one that at first glance seemed impossible. This was me after this week's cryptic:

~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Inca

Post by Inca »

I do the cryptics but not as consistently as I do the meta because there is no way to do them online and I've gotten very used to doing my puzzles online. I am also not as good at them (probably because I don't do them all that often). But I love the Aha! feeling every time I suddenly "see" the clue for what it is. A meta gives you one Aha! moment while the cryptics give you a chance for multiple Aha!s.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I used to do every HEX cryptic I could find. Years ago there was another Asteroids which was reaaaaaally hard. I printed out this one and realized I am sorely out of practice!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Inca wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:35 am A meta gives you one Aha! moment while the cryptics give you a chance for multiple Aha!s.
Perfect way to put it!
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I thought the Asteroids puzzle this week was pretty hard, but satisfying when I finally finished it! Cryptics were my first love, especially Harper's magazine.
Tina

Post by Tina »

I started doing cryptics about a year and a half ago and am now solidly addicted. I am working my way through the HEX archive on WSJ now. "Asteroids" was quite a challenge! I just finished it late last night and really wore down my eraser!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Good Lord, that was hard. Even after I figured out the rules. Exhausting yet rewarding solve!
Anita

Post by Anita »

I do them all the time. Asteroids was a fun solve!