Obedience School

Enter if you dare!
Meg

Obedience School

Post by Meg »

It’s a HEX of course and mighty challenging. Only 6 grid entries so far cuz.....read the instructions.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

I am struggling, too. Very hesitant to put anything in the grid.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m down to my last 2 entries and I’m stuck. 21d and 29d. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wow Meg good for you! I have only 8 entries in the grid so far. And not too many entry solves, Partly because of the lack of crosses or lengths. This one’s a TOUGHIE.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Hey Meg, thanks for posting. Cryptics are easily my favorites. I assume by now you’ve gotten through the
puzzle but if not 21D should be a Shake and 29D should be a Fetch.
I found the biggest hurdle was deciding to start after reading the instructions!
If you like HEX cryptics, try their weekly offering on Saturday in the Canadian National Post at http://natpostcryptic.blogspot.com/
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks, Richard. Yes, I finished it. I agree about the biggest hurdle. I think after so many years that I’ve come to trust HEX. My experience is that sometimes I can barely even understand the directions and that doesn’t matter. You just have to jump in. Thanks also for the link. I’ll print it out.
Are you going to introduce yourself? It’s in the Come Aboard section of this forum.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I too love cryptics but this is diabolical! I think I have most of the left side fitting but kinda stuck now..
LesY

Post by LesY »

What a satisfying puzzle - and not easy! I got the paw-print answer with about 1/3 of the grid filled - got lucky by starting on the right. Then it took a good 2-3 hours to finish the rest.

I’ll check out the Canadian National Post puzzle, too.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Meg wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:09 pm Thanks, Richard. Yes, I finished it. I agree about the biggest hurdle. I think after so many years that I’ve come to trust HEX. My experience is that sometimes I can barely even understand the directions and that doesn’t matter. You just have to jump in. Thanks also for the link. I’ll print it out.
Are you going to introduce yourself? It’s in the Come Aboard section of this forum.
Thanks, Meg. Introduction submitted.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

With 35+ years of experience in cryptics (I started with Roy Blount, Jr.'s puzzle for Spy magazine, way back in the '80s -- remember that?) ... which moved into variety cryptics by the '90s ... you'd think that Obedience School would have been a snap for me.

Not!

Struggled mightily with it, but did, finally, get it.

And enjoyed the challenge!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well I printed out this one and the giant cryptic this evening. Thought I'd start on this, the smaller one. Ha! Not sure my cryptic skills are quite at this level! So I'm warming up on the giant one, and then I'll see if I want to attempt this craziness.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 pm Well I printed out this one and the giant cryptic this evening. Thought I'd start on this, the smaller one. Ha! Not sure my cryptic skills are quite at this level! So I'm warming up on the giant one, and then I'll see if I want to attempt this craziness.
This one was a bear...got it all, but a little iffy on one.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 pm Well I printed out this one and the giant cryptic this evening. Thought I'd start on this, the smaller one. Ha! Not sure my cryptic skills are quite at this level! So I'm warming up on the giant one, and then I'll see if I want to attempt this craziness.
This one was a bear...got it all, but a little iffy on one.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Finally had a chance to print so I could work on this one. I have the answers to about half of the clues so far, but have not entered anything, yet.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Woof! I finally managed to get to "critical mass" on this puzzle on my own. And thank you Meg for explaining the half-dozen I couldn't figure out the wordplay for. An amazing construction as always.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.