"Balance" wsj cryptic

Enter if you dare!
Meg

"Balance" wsj cryptic

Post by Meg »

It’s a HEX, of course! You know you want to do it!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

The more, the merrier....cryptics are my preferred style of puzzle so eagerly anticipate the Cox/Rathvon WSJ contribution each month (or so).
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Happy to say I finished this one! I agree I like cryptics better than straight up crosswords. Not sure I'm fully getting the mechanism for Balance Clue f. I know which part is the definition, but the word play part is eluding me. No spoilers, but but if someone could either pm me or post after the solution comes out, please.... TIA
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Julie O wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:54 pm Not sure I'm fully getting the mechanism for Balance Clue f.
Firgured it out. Was attributing one of the answer's letters to the wrong part of the word play.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Julie O wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:48 pm
Julie O wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:54 pm Not sure I'm fully getting the mechanism for Balance Clue f.
Firgured it out. Was attributing one of the answer's letters to the wrong part of the word play.
I still don’t get that one... i am hoping for the same post-enlightenment you found. Or the same pm/post you requested 😉
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I didn't get Balance Clue f either, but I just went with it, through contex. Fun variety cryptic!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Pm me for an explanation of f, which I had to Google for confirmation, if you want.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thank you Julie O for a most excellent nudge towards the f wordplay. I had to google every single component of that entry-- I'd never have gotten there on my own.

And kudos on phrasing the hint so well!! When I know the answer I have a really hard time constructing a hint that doesn't out-and-out give the whole thing away. Yours was just enough to send me to the search engines.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I think I got the right answer for f. I am only missing b. I think I have filled in the shaded spaces correctly, but can't make anything of the letters that I have for the bottom of the 5th column.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Fun and challenging. When I realized what they actually did in getting the shaded answer, I was even more impressed.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:57 pm Fun and challenging. When I realized what they actually did in getting the shaded answer, I was even more impressed.
Yes!
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

KayW wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:39 am Thank you Julie O for a most excellent nudge towards the f wordplay. I had to google every single component of that entry-- I'd never have gotten there on my own.

And kudos on phrasing the hint so well!! When I know the answer I have a really hard time constructing a hint that doesn't out-and-out give the whole thing away. Yours was just enough to send me to the search engines.
You're welcome!
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

Could anyone give a hint for 14 across? I’m just not seeing it at all. Thanks!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Nycerjohnnie wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:10 pm Could anyone give a hint for 14 across? I’m just not seeing it at all. Thanks!
The first word of the clue is the definition (but not a good one, in my opinion). Use just the first letter of the second word (I hope that is not too specific).
Nycerjohnnie

Post by Nycerjohnnie »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:22 pm
Nycerjohnnie wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:10 pm Could anyone give a hint for 14 across? I’m just not seeing it at all. Thanks!
The first word of the clue is the definition (but not a good one, in my opinion). Use just the first letter of the second word (I hope that is not too specific).
Thanks!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Thanks for posting this thread, didn't even realize WSJ has cryptics! Really loved this one, helped me pass a lot of time on the couch on Sunday
Meg

Post by Meg »

anjhinz wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:14 am Thanks for posting this thread, didn't even realize WSJ has cryptics! Really loved this one, helped me pass a lot of time on the couch on Sunday
I check the wsj Saturday variety puzzle every week. Acrostics (meh), cryptics, and lovely things invented by Patrick Berry including Rows Gardens.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Meg wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:08 pm
anjhinz wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:14 am Thanks for posting this thread, didn't even realize WSJ has cryptics! Really loved this one, helped me pass a lot of time on the couch on Sunday
I check the wsj Saturday variety puzzle every week. Acrostics (meh), cryptics, and lovely things invented by Patrick Berry including Rows Gardens.
I agree with you on the Acrostics. Of course, any puzzle is better than no puzzle at all, but acrostics are my very least favorite. Love all the others, especially the cryptics.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Thought I was getting the hang of these but crashed and burned on this one! 🔥
I still need to go back and study further.

I always thought acrostics were kind of tedious, but since the WSJ has made it possible to do them on line, the tedious error-prone transcription of letters is gone! And I enjoy getting the quote to mull over.