"Foursomes" - Harper’s, April 2020

Enter if you dare!
ChrisKochmanski

"Foursomes" - Harper’s, April 2020

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

This latest from Richard E. Maltby, Jr. has one of my favorite cryptic clues in some time. Here’s the clue:

Horst is cheated!

The answer is a 12-letter word. Can you figure it out?

Good puzzle, if you can get hold of it. I subscribed years ago, for the puzzle, and the magazine just keeps coming. Maybe I unthinkingly bought a 20-year subscription!
howardl

Post by howardl »

Tuesday's WSJ puzzle is called "F-Stop" and the long answers use "O" in place of "OF" with the word "Ireland" in the clue. I got the grid completed, and I enjoyed the puzzle, but I don't see why it is titled "F-Stop". (Sure I'm missing something stupid.)
howardl

Post by howardl »

Oh (replying to myself) F is "stopped" out of the word "OF". Can't say that I'm a big fan of that title.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:00 pm This latest from Richard E. Maltby, Jr. has one of my favorite cryptic clues in some time. Here’s the clue:

Horst is cheated!

The answer is a 12-letter word. Can you figure it out?
Yes, that was a fun one, though I had to get a lot of the letters from crossings before I figured it out. These are my favorite puzzles, even more than metas. I always have a feeling of accomplishment when I finish the Harper’s cryptic.