Fantastic variety cryptic

Enter if you dare!
Tina

Fantastic variety cryptic

Post by Tina »

This one's too good not to share. Max Woghiren and Yossi Fendel created a delightful and challenging variety meta cryptic to commemorate something that occurred on Nov. 10 of this year. Enjoy! https://maxwoghiren.com/puzzles/cryptic ... Hw_eJVsQpA
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

November 2019 Magic Carpet Ride in Excel format

To fill in grid, click to right of PDF, then use keyboard arrows to move from cell to cell.

PM with questions and comments.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Eckless

Post by Eckless »

This puzzle is really good...thank you for sharing!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I got 99% of grid but am totally lost To go on. Is there a solve somewhere? Ps 4A is my only hole..crack? But why?
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:11 pm November 2019 Magic Carpet Ride in Excel format

To fill in grid, click to right of PDF, then use keyboard arrows to move from cell to cell.

Also from cincy. .new Richmond.. a solve somewhere?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Jeanrosz wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:47 pm I got 99% of grid but am totally lost To go on. Is there a solve somewhere? Ps 4A is my only hole..crack? But why?
I'll PM you the explanation.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks for the link, Tina! Excellent, even amazing construction. Finally got all the follow-on elements with a smidge of back-solving.

However, I still don't get exactly how a couple of the cryptic clues work. In 14A, where does the last letter come from? And in 27A, I see the pieces, but how do they end up in the needed order?
Hector

Post by Hector »

And thanks also for the explanations! They both work perfectly.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Love this puzzle!

Though I'm stuck on the last step.

When they say, "Let C be the first occurrence of the letter clued by the helper's name," do they mean the first occurrence of the letter in the clue? Or the first occurrence of the letter in the clue's entry? Or maybe the first occurrence ... elsewhere?

If you'd like to answer me directly, my email is chris.kochmanski@gmail.com

Thanks!
Hector

Post by Hector »

A lot of the difficulty in this is to parse the instructions. They're actually written rigorously, but not exactly reader-friendly, and I slipped up more than once in trying to understand them. In this case, the clue is what's in question, not the entry ("For each of the affected clues, . . .").
ChrisKochmanski

Well, yes, I keep reading and re-reading that last paragraph of the instructions -- and I'm now focusing on the clues -- but this keeps leading me to a scramble of letters that don't spell anything. I'm feeling that it should be leading me to an answer directly relating to what I clearly found for the first three questions. That is: I believe I know, roughly, what the fourth question is asking for -- but I can't spell anything like it with the way I'm interpreting the "helpers."

I must be missing something, and so far I'm not getting to it.

Ah, but that's the fun of puzzles like this, right? ;)
ChrisKochmanski

I'm also clear on what they seem to be looking for, for many or most of the helpers. But there are other "helper" clues where I'm not at all sure ...
ChrisKochmanski

Wait, I think I'm on to something ...
ChrisKochmanski

OK, I've seen a couple of things that make the "helpers" clearer. But still not figuring out the last step (the fourth question). So if anyone would like to give me a hint .... (hint, hint!)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Jeanrosz wrote: โ†‘Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:50 pm
Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:11 pm November 2019 Magic Carpet Ride in Excel format

Also from cincy. .new Richmond.. a solve somewhere?
Hi, Jean!

This is a very late response. Had full intentions of attempting to solve this and have subscribed to other meta puzzles, in the last week. However, life has become very busy. One of my new year resolutions is to schedule realistic time each week for the WSJ CC and two other meta options.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

If anyone who solved part four of this could explain it in another way I would appreciate the favor. โ€œThe first occurrence of the letter clued by that helpers nameโ€ is not making sense.
Noneedforaname

Post by Noneedforaname »

Got the grid, but am baffled by the directions. Anyone know where to find the answers/ explanation?