Double or Nothing WSJ 8/10/2019

Enter if you dare!
KayW

Double or Nothing WSJ 8/10/2019

Post by KayW »

Another fiendishly clever one from Cox and Rathvon. This one was tough for me. Got all the words and the advice to gamblers. But I can’t suss the complete wordplay on four of the entries, which is an unusually high number for me. I’m not listing them here because I’m not asking for hints... yet. With cryptics, I like to let them simmer on the brain back burner for a while.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ALS

Post by ALS »

I got the advice but still can't make out three words. The first half of 3, 4, and 11 are still stumping me.
ALS
KayW

Post by KayW »

ALS wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm I got the advice but still can't make out three words. The first half of 3, 4, and 11 are still stumping me.
ALS
Are you looking for hints or explanations or none of the above? I got those three but don't want to give you more of a spoiler than you are looking for. I can PM or ROT13 if you like.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ALS

Post by ALS »

I"ll just wait to see the answers (or have a brainstorm) but thanks!

ALS
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm
ALS wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm I got the advice but still can't make out three words. The first half of 3, 4, and 11 are still stumping me.
ALS
Are you looking for hints or explanations or none of the above? I got those three but don't want to give you more of a spoiler than you are looking for. I can PM or ROT13 if you like.
I finally finished. My only question is the wordplay on the second half of the second clue for number 3. I understand the clue for the first half of the entry, but the last part gets me.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SewYoung wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I finally finished. My only question is the wordplay on the second half of the second clue for number 3. I understand the clue for the first half of the entry, but the last part gets me.
That's one of mine, too - and exactly where I am stuck! I had post-enlightenment on 10b and 2a. The ones I am still missing some of the wordplay on are 3b and 6b.
Claudia

Post by Claudia »

3 b - reverse the order of the last 2 letters. ur is a prefix that means original, as in urtext, or original text.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thank you, Claudia. I was not familiar with that term and would NEVER have figured that out. Probably not even after seeing whatever solution gets posted in the WSJ next weekend.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

KayW wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm Thank you, Claudia. I was not familiar with that term and would NEVER have figured that out. Probably not even after seeing whatever solution gets posted in the WSJ next weekend.
My thoughts, exactly. Never heard of it. I appreciate Claudia for answering the question. That's one of things I like about the puzzles and this forum. Always learning something new. I saw the post last night and was going to reply before going to bed, but something else caught my eye and I never got back to it. Ooh Look........There's a shiny object......gotta go check it out............
KayW

Post by KayW »

Well rats! This Saturday's WSJ published the solution grid, but omitted the usual abbreviated guides to the solution. I never could figure out the wordplay for 6b - bar drink splashes around. Can anyone here enlighten me?
Hector

Post by Hector »

KayW wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:48 am Well rats! This Saturday's WSJ published the solution grid, but omitted the usual abbreviated guides to the solution. I never could figure out the wordplay for 6b - bar drink splashes around. Can anyone here enlighten me?
"Around" here means "backwards".
KayW

Post by KayW »

Hector wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:53 am
KayW wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:48 am Well rats! This Saturday's WSJ published the solution grid, but omitted the usual abbreviated guides to the solution. I never could figure out the wordplay for 6b - bar drink splashes around. Can anyone here enlighten me?
"Around" here means "backwards".
doh!! thank you!