Flower Center WSJ Cryptic 6/15/2019

Enter if you dare!
SewYoung

Flower Center WSJ Cryptic 6/15/2019

Post by SewYoung »

I had to wait for the solution to get some of these answers. I actually had an answer for clue 11(MIASMA) "Atmosphere that offends Maureen O'Sullivan" but couldn't understand how it fit the second half of the clue until I saw the solution "Mia's Ma". Then I had to look it up and found that Mia Farrow is Maureen O'Sullivan's daughter. I had no idea.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I thought this was a pretty tough one, though I did finish it eventually.
KayW

Post by KayW »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:11 pm I had to wait for the solution to get some of these answers. I actually had an answer for clue 11(MIASMA) "Atmosphere that offends Maureen O'Sullivan" but couldn't understand how it fit the second half of the clue until I saw the solution "Mia's Ma". Then I had to look it up and found that Mia Farrow is Maureen O'Sullivan's daughter. I had no idea.
I inferred the answer MIASMA from the crosses but like you had no idea that Mia Farrow was Maureen O'Sullivan's daughter. I had to ask someone to explain the wordplay in the clue. Very clever! ...once you know.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.