WSJ Wednesday July 1

A place to discuss regular (non-meta) crossword puzzles.
Teeje92

WSJ Wednesday July 1

Post by Teeje92 »

So after giving up and looking up an answer to the clue SCHEHERAZADE'S COUNT, I found the answer to be IOOI. I had no idea what it meant so I kept googling and the only thing I could find relating to the answer was a number (1001). Can numbers be replaced with letters in crossword puzzles? Is that a thing? I've never seen it before.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Yeah, that's a little unusual. The letters O and I are serving in the across (but not the downs) as numerals. That's kind of a rebussy thing that you'd expect to be part of a theme rather than isolated like this.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Teeje92 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:36 pm So after giving up and looking up an answer to the clue SCHEHERAZADE'S COUNT, I found the answer to be IOOI. I had no idea what it meant so I kept googling and the only thing I could find relating to the answer was a number (1001). Can numbers be replaced with letters in crossword puzzles? Is that a thing? I've never seen it before.
In the work called Arabian Nights or 1001 Nights, Scheherazade is the wife of the ruler telling a story each night to her husband, and did this for 1001 nights.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

My solving time was IO:II.