NYT Daily Mini

A place to discuss regular (non-meta) crossword puzzles.
Post Reply
User avatar
spotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: SLO, CA

NYT Daily Mini

#1

Post by spotter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm sure others in the forum do this mini (I've seen comments here and there referencing it). I want to have more people on my leaderboard! I don't have many on there currently. I was thinking that this group loves a good leaderboard so why not throw it out there. Maybe others want to grow theirs as well.

User avatar
spotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: SLO, CA

#2

Post by spotter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24 pm

My link to add me is
https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/leaderb ... ab1a6c5631

Recent times - 0:42, 0:46, 0:24, 1:26, 0:23, 0:18, 0:58, 0:19
My record is 0:12
Last edited by spotter on Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boharr
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

#3

Post by boharr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm almost always just over a minute.

User avatar
spotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: SLO, CA

#4

Post by spotter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:30 pm

boharr wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:26 pm
I'm almost always just over a minute.
Was it you who posted recently that you and your son do the puzzles together? I think that was what sparked the idea for me in the first place to reach out here.

boharr
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

#5

Post by boharr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Not me. Someone else in the WSJ discussion. He said the son did one in 14 seconds!

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#6

Post by FrankieHeck » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 pm

My best time is 8 seconds! Will not be replicated, and is not typical at all. I just added you, Spotter, but I had reached my max of 25 and had to remove a few people. Hope they weren't people from here!

User avatar
spotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: SLO, CA

#7

Post by spotter » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:09 pm

Wow 8 is very very impressive! Thanks for making room for me haha!

User avatar
BrianMac
Site Admin
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Location: Connecticut

#8

Post by BrianMac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 pm

Here's my link: https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/leaderb ... beeeba4b36

I'm usually aiming for under 30

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#9

Post by FrankieHeck » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm

I seem to be getting worse instead of better. And if I solve on my phone my times are terrible. I seem to make a typo in every word.

boharr
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

#10

Post by boharr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 pm

I should have learned to type, not hunt and peck. In that sentence alone, I had two typos. Now three,

User avatar
joequavis
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm
Location: Loveland, Colorado

#11

Post by joequavis » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 pm

FrankieHeck wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm
I seem to be getting worse instead of better. And if I solve on my phone my times are terrible. I seem to make a typo in every word.
I can attest to Frankie's off week (or two). I normally never beat her, but have a couple times in the past few weeks! Nothing like a leaderboard to turn a fun activity into a competition with your virtual friends! But it's fun. Biggest problem for me (and would be for you too, Spotter) is that a lot of the folks that I follow are in the Eastern time zone, so I can see their times from when they did the puzzle that morning, but they usually don't check back in to see my time (Mountain time zone).

Anyway, here's my link: https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/leaderb ... 2a1f003506
Chaddog on MGWCC leaderboard
Matt in real life

User avatar
spotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: SLO, CA

#12

Post by spotter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 am

joequavis wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Biggest problem for me (and would be for you too, Spotter) is that a lot of the folks that I follow are in the Eastern time zone, so I can see their times from when they did the puzzle that morning, but they usually don't check back in to see my time (Mountain time zone).
I get too eager and usually do them at 7PM PT (10PM ET) the evening before. I also prefer to not see the other times before I solve. Thanks for adding me! My leaderboard has grown from 3 to 6 now! Twice the fun! :lol:

User avatar
joequavis
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 pm
Location: Loveland, Colorado

#13

Post by joequavis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm

joequavis wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 pm
FrankieHeck wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm
I seem to be getting worse instead of better. And if I solve on my phone my times are terrible. I seem to make a typo in every word.
I can attest to Frankie's off week (or two). I normally never beat her, but have a couple times in the past few weeks! Nothing like a leaderboard to turn a fun activity into a competition with your virtual friends!
and no sooner did I write this than she reclaims the leaderboard (mine, at least) with a vengeance. Gearing up for week 5 perhaps? :D
Chaddog on MGWCC leaderboard
Matt in real life

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#14

Post by FrankieHeck » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:59 pm

joequavis wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm
joequavis wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 pm
FrankieHeck wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:29 pm
I seem to be getting worse instead of better. And if I solve on my phone my times are terrible. I seem to make a typo in every word.
I can attest to Frankie's off week (or two). I normally never beat her, but have a couple times in the past few weeks! Nothing like a leaderboard to turn a fun activity into a competition with your virtual friends!
and no sooner did I write this than she reclaims the leaderboard (mine, at least) with a vengeance. Gearing up for week 5 perhaps? :D
You guys motivated me!! Used my computer and was feeling the pressure!

User avatar
spotter
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: SLO, CA

#15

Post by spotter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm

She's number one on my leaderboard too! I struggled mightily with that one!! Probably my worst ever performance with the pressure of my new friends on there. I'll do better tonight :lol:

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#16

Post by FrankieHeck » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:07 pm

spotter wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm
She's number one on my leaderboard too! I struggled mightily with that one!! Probably my worst ever performance with the pressure of my new friends on there. I'll do better tonight :lol:
Man, this pressure is intense! I'm not number one on my board. Peter Wentz is ahead of me. I think I stole his link from Twitter. Might have to boot him so I can move up in the ranks...

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#17

Post by FrankieHeck » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 pm

And now Spotter is at the top!

Post Reply