Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Just specify my mailing address when you win and, and, and I'll send it to you! Yeah, that's the ticket, I'll send you the mug, sure, definitely send the beautiful mug, count on it!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Hector wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:18 pm Just specify my mailing address when you win and, and, and I'll send it to you! Yeah, that's the ticket, I'll send you the mug, sure, definitely send the beautiful mug, count on it!
"My preciousss...."
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I live in Israel, just south of Jerusalem.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Schmeel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:34 pm I live in Israel, just south of Jerusalem.
שלום וברוך הבא לקבוצה שלנו
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:44 pm
Schmeel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:34 pm I live in Israel, just south of Jerusalem.
תודה רבה. אני נהנה מאד מפתרון התשבצים ומהתגובות בקבוצה. אשמח להשתתף!
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

Well hello! My name is Brad, I'm a data scientist currently residing in Chattanooga, TN. Stumbled across this community back in January when I figured out my first meta, but just getting around to posting an intro now! Been doing the daily WSJ crosswords for I guess 6 years now (not everyday, but ya do what ya can.) Getting that first meta led me over to the MGWCC, so I'm hoping the extra weekly meta will get me more time on the shore and less time lost at sea. Looking forward to posting with you all!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Schmeel wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:48 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:44 pm
תודה רבה. אני נהנה מאד מפתרון התשבצים ומהתגובות בקבוצה. אשמח להשתתף!
I love Google translate :)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
stmv

Post by stmv »

Hi, I'm a professor at Sauder b-school, UBC, in beautiful Vancouver, BC (so, sadly, not mug-eligible). I've been doing the WSJ metas off and on for some years with some successes, some failures, and I only recently discovered this group. I've been in Vancouver for more than 30 years, and I'm a dual Canadian/US citizen originally from NJ (and proud of it!). I've done crosswords forever, and also juggle, bike, ski, hike, and dote on my grandchildren (to the extent possible these days). I am safely on the beach for the current meta, but never quite made it there last week.
Patty

Post by Patty »

Hector wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:18 pm Just specify my mailing address when you win and, and, and I'll send it to you! Yeah, that's the ticket, I'll send you the mug, sure, definitely send the beautiful mug, count on it!
Hi there, I also live outside the U.S. Since my lovely daughters have already gifted me with a (best gift ever) bespoke crossword puzzle winner mug, I will be certain to give them your address. Here's to us!! :)
SuzeF

Post by SuzeF »

HI! I was formerly registered as Susan F (for a long time) but for some reason - I couldn't log in and remember password emails were not coming through. So, I gave up and re-registered (reinvented myself) as Suze F. Just wanted Bob to know as I know he tracks the ship v shore crowds.
So glad to be back! Susan F (Suze F)
violat

Post by violat »

Hello. Joining from the ever-popular state of New Jersey. Editor in NYC who has not been to the office in 5 (?) weeks. Or even crossed the Hudson in that time. I'm a novice constructor with a wonderful mentor and I enjoy solving, but am a total noob at metas. Eager to learn. And commune.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

violat wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm Hello. Joining from the ever-popular state of New Jersey. Editor in NYC who has not been to the office in 5 (?) weeks. Or even crossed the Hudson in that time. I'm a novice constructor with a wonderful mentor and I enjoy solving, but am a total noob at metas. Eager to learn. And commune.
Welcome! I'm in awe of all crossword constructors. It seems like magic.

Be sure and let us know when you have a puzzle published. I love getting to solve puzzles by someone I "know".
ckurihara

Post by ckurihara »

Hello, all-

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and finally decided to become a member and start posting. I live in Palo Alto CA - home to Stanford University where I worked for many years. I'm retired now and enjoying the good life (well, until this whole COVID thing started :cry:) including doing the NYT and WSJ puzzle every day. I've done crosswords for a long time, started when a kid as my dad used to sit at the table every day doing the LATimes puzzle and I would always say "Ask me one!" - of course he knew all of the answers and hardly needed me but he went along - I felt so smart when I got one (rare, then!). Always very satisfying.

As for the Friday Contest puzzle - have been doing and mostly not getting them for over a year now. Once in a while I will get the meta, then I'm so happy and submit and sit and wait for the mug - but no such luck - yet! I can hope, can't I? When I do solve it, it really makes my week! I'm trusting I will get better at that aspect (the grid is usually highly doable - it's the meta that usually stumps me) over the weeks and months - the group here gives me hope.

This week I'm safely ashore, phew! Happy solving to all and stay safe.
Trying to find meaning (and not just for crossword puzzles).
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Have you checked out FAQ's Community/Solving Resources for a lot of good hints and tips for solving them.

Welcome again and stay safe

Also don't feel bad about not winning a mug. Some of our all stars who have solved every week have not won a mug either so you are in great company
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

Hi. I've been lurking for about a year, and four weeks of confinement have forced my inner introvert to create a profile and introduce myself. I live in Philadelphia and work for a university here. This is a really fun community and even if I don't get all the acronyms and jokes, I enjoy reading everyone's comments.

I went through several weeks where I solved the puzzle easily, but I've been struggling with them lately. Last week and this week have vexed me greatly. Ah, well.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Begbie, that's very strange, because none of the rest of us ever have dry spells. MODERATORS PLEASE INSERT IRONIC EMOTICON THANK YOU. But welcome!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hi,

I've been lurking here on and off for a little bit. I didn't want to officially join the group until I actually figured out one of the meta puzzles. Well, I finally made it ashore so here I am!

I'm a retired critical-care nurse living in the Chicagoland area. Normally I keep busy with a lot of volunteer work--mostly at church or various "nature" organizations. I've been doing the WSJ weekend puzzle for years and, more recently, the puzzle contest. I'm an avid birdwatcher. With the whole COVID thing, I've actually had more time to get out there and look for some birds. And figure out the meta puzzle.
ThirdCoastFiddler

Post by ThirdCoastFiddler »

Hello! I'm Kelly from Chicago. So delighted to be acquainted with the Friday meta and your fine group, thanks to the WSJ 18 Mar muggles article. I'm an introverted non-retired risk manager with three grown sons. My interests include cycling and running, music of nearly all genres, working puzzles, gardening, and reading.

Ashore (first timer)!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

ThirdCoastFiddler wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:52 pm Hello! I'm Kelly from Chicago. So delighted to be acquainted with the Friday meta and your fine group, thanks to the WSJ 18 Mar muggles article. I'm an introverted non-retired risk manager with three grown sons. My interests include cycling and running, music of nearly all genres, working puzzles, gardening, and reading.

Ashore (first timer)!
Welcome to the group. We are always happy to have another muggle. There are others here from Chicago so you may have neighbors with the same interests.

One suggestion - on the tab "WSJ Crossword Puzzle Contest" I open up a subtab every week where people post whether they are on shore or the ship and a variety of other comments which wander through all sorts of amazing subjects. I get my status and post the ship/shore results over on that tab. Also if I miss you at any time, feel free to let me know.

Again, welcome to the group
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

LadyBird wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:15 pm Hi,

I've been lurking here on and off for a little bit. I didn't want to officially join the group until I actually figured out one of the meta puzzles. Well, I finally made it ashore so here I am!

I'm a retired critical-care nurse living in the Chicagoland area. Normally I keep busy with a lot of volunteer work--mostly at church or various "nature" organizations. I've been doing the WSJ weekend puzzle for years and, more recently, the puzzle contest. I'm an avid birdwatcher. With the whole COVID thing, I've actually had more time to get out there and look for some birds. And figure out the meta puzzle.
Welcome to the group. We welcome lurkers and former lurkers to the clan. We have a lot of Chicago muggles (see the posting below). I commented on the topic page that your avatar looks like a lilac breasted roller we saw in Africa a few years ago unless there is a similar bird somewhere.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director