Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

aliveson wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:58 pm Thanks! I also just found M. Gaffney's helpful "101" guide.
You can also find a lot of good tips for solving on this board's FAQs at
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=49

And you can see how previous puzzles worked at
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=277&start=40
(This one is a work in progress, but there's a least a year's worth posted so far.)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the prior puzzles are also on the WSJ's website, and the Monday puzzle has the solution to the prior Friday meta-puzzle.

No subscription needed to access these:

https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:09 pm And you can see how previous puzzles worked at
forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=277&start=40
(This one is a work in progress, but there's a least a year's worth posted so far.)
All Wall Street Journal Crossword Contests & their solutions are available at the link above.

The Wall Street Journal does not have links to all past puzzles & solutions.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Hi, JoeS living in Pearland, Texas, bedroom community of Houston. Retired from Boeing Company after 41 years, the last 20 of which were in Houston, working as NASA prime contractor on Space Station Program. A long stint with Boeing, who is getting beat up a little bit right now, but it was a great company to work for. Spent some time in Moscow on the program, resulting in Russian wife, bilingual kids, and bilingual Jack Russell. A lot of my time now is helping 10 year old daughter with math and science - she keeps me busy and entertained.
Crossword heritage goes back to my mom, who religiously did NY Times Sunday puzzle, and I would try to help her. Off and on since then, but I love it now that the 10 year old wants to help me with WSJ puzzles, and wife helps with the meta. Thanks. :D
Possum's Dad

Post by Possum's Dad »

Good morning - I'm Possum's Dad from Atlanta. Have gone through waves of crossword activity, and enjoy the WSJ offerings. Seem to figure out the meta about 20% of the time. Figured out today's and thought I would join the board. Thanks!
rubyredhead

Post by rubyredhead »

Hi all- very new in the world of meta crosswords, been stalking the site for the past few months and finally gathered the courage to register an account!
A little about me- I'm Alexis, I'm a current student at Arizona State University majoring in marketing and supply chain management with a minor in psychology. I'm a huge fan of puzzles, theories, etc. anything that can get your brain working (that isn't my homework)!
I have YET to figure out a meta for myself and would love some help (maybe some hints)- I've already taken a look at the "how to" thread, and I've tried those methods and haven't been able to get one yet!
If anyone can help me acclimate to the extreme puzzlers ways I would be so appreciative- can't wait to become involved in the community!
Hector

Post by Hector »

rubyredhead wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:59 pm Hi all- very new in the world of meta crosswords, been stalking the site for the past few months and finally gathered the courage to register an account!
A little about me- I'm Alexis, I'm a current student at Arizona State University majoring in marketing and supply chain management with a minor in psychology. I'm a huge fan of puzzles, theories, etc. anything that can get your brain working (that isn't my homework)!
I have YET to figure out a meta for myself and would love some help (maybe some hints)- I've already taken a look at the "how to" thread, and I've tried those methods and haven't been able to get one yet!
If anyone can help me acclimate to the extreme puzzlers ways I would be so appreciative- can't wait to become involved in the community!
Welcome! PM me (or any of us) about a meta that you're working on & let me know what if anything you've noticed so far about it; I'll try to nudge helpfully without just spilling the beans. This week's WSJ is a pretty good meta for a beginner to work on, I think.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

rubyredhead wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:59 pm Hi all- very new in the world of meta crosswords, been stalking the site for the past few months and finally gathered the courage to register an account!
I agree with Hector. the Private Messages are a good way to nudge you in the right direction without giving what could be considered a spoiler. Welcome to the clan. We all had a learning curve to come up.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
VincentM

Post by VincentM »

Mark Vincent, Aurora CO. I solve the WSJ Friday contest about 30% of the time. The effort is what makes it fun.
no .sig, no avatar, just puzzlin' fun
Head scratcher

Post by Head scratcher »

Hi,
I'm Pete from San Diego. I'm an avid sudoku player, now becoming more interested in solving challenging crossword puzzles in my spare time. For fun, I enjoy reading spy novels, cycling and sipping fine whiskey.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

welcome - I was an avid sudoku player until I found these (last November) and ... these are infinitely more satisfying than just writing 1-9 over and over and over.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

Hello, I'm Connor, a recent USC graduate still figuring out what to do with my life! I've always been a huge fan of puzzles and puzzle-adjacent activities; I began doing the daily NYT a few years ago, and just discovered these WSJ metas. Completed the grid for today's, but have been racking my brain thinking of the theme. I might message one of you for a small nudge :) In my spare time (which I've been finding myself with a lot of recently), I like to collect records, read vintage paperbacks, and play board games.
stlrose

Post by stlrose »

Retired, birder, gardener, reader, bee keeper, chicken keeper, ping pong tennis and golfer. 4 grandchildren. Boonville, IN
thejeffbrown

Post by thejeffbrown »

Hi everyone. I’m Jeff.

I began attempting the contest puzzles a few weeks ago and finally cracked my first one last weekend (alas, I didn’t win).

I read Thursday in WSJ about this group and, so, here I am.

Hope everyone is doing okay in light of what the world is experiencing at the moment.
LizandBritta

Post by LizandBritta »

Hi!
We're total newbies here, but we figured we'd join the fun during quarantine season!
We're a mother-daughter duo who love to share a crossword during breakfast, and we've decided it's time to start doing the contests as well! This week's (variety show) is the first one we've ever tried and we're as stuck as stuck can be, but we're trying our best 😂. Feel free to help us out, if you want!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

stlrose wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:30 pm Retired, birder, gardener, reader, bee keeper, chicken keeper, ping pong tennis and golfer. 4 grandchildren. Boonville, IN
Welcome - we always love Hoosiers here
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ClayD

Post by ClayD »

Hi, I'm Clay from Austin, TX. Been lurking here for a bit since my brother encouraged me to do the meta late last year. I get about 1 out of 3, on shore this week! :D
edot

Post by edot »

Hi all,

I'm Eric, currently living in NYC- usually do the Washington Post and WSJ crosswords each week. Joined a few weeks ago--glad to find a community that also enjoys the puzzles! Looking forward to getting to know you all. Make sure to take the time to go out and get some exercise these next few weeks! (six feet apart of course)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

edot wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:36 pm Hi all,

I'm Eric, currently living in NYC- usually do the Washington Post and WSJ crosswords each week. Joined a few weeks ago--glad to find a community that also enjoys the puzzles! Looking forward to getting to know you all. Make sure to take the time to go out and get some exercise these next few weeks! (six feet apart of course)
And I'd stay away from weightlifting. Probably not a good idea to have your spotter be 6 feet away.
Toby

Post by Toby »

LizandBritta wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:37 pm Hi!
We're total newbies here, but we figured we'd join the fun during quarantine season!
We're a mother-daughter duo who love to share a crossword during breakfast, and we've decided it's time to start doing the contests as well! This week's (variety show) is the first one we've ever tried and we're as stuck as stuck can be, but we're trying our best 😂. Feel free to help us out, if you want!
Welcome. Don't give up. After a while, you begin to get the hang of how this kind of puzzle works, and they are lots of fun.