Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Meg

Post by Meg »

M.Gritz wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:30 pm Hi all,
I'll likely be more of a lurker, especially as I have a strict first-in-first-out policy for my puzzle backlog. I've been solving NYT puzzles for 16 years and other sources for 3 now, and probably have about a 20% hit rate on metas. Currently based in North Carolina horse and golf country, but spent most of my 20s in Washington, DC. I manage a daily newsletter at https://crosswordlinks.substack.com/ that attempts to compile each day's crosswords and related puzzles for solvers, with an emphasis on independent constructors.
Welcome Matt. I’m already a subscriber to your newsletter.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Meg wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm Welcome Matt. I’m already a subscriber to your newsletter.
I'm not, as I'm in a mental space where email makes me angry and inbox zero is months away. Unsubscribe! Unsubscribe!

However, I have bookmarked the link. So helpful to us solvers as well as the constructors trying to reach us! Also helpful: there's a twitter account called @CrosswordButler that gives prompt notifications (if you're following twitter) of indie puzzles. These generous people stand in sharp contrast to my greedy consumption of their offerings. :)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Hi, I'm Morgan in PDX, originally from NH/VT. I loved Games magazine as a kid. I have been kinda-speed-solving Thu/Fri/Sat NYT crosswords for a few years but never looked at the WSJ until last week. I'll stick with a tricky puzzle if it's interesting, but I don't care about streaks and won't obsess over solving a meta puzzle if I'm not making headway. I'm happy to fill in the grid and move on.

I teach algebra part-time at a handful of community colleges and have been learning Icelandic, Danish, and Swedish for fun, although I realized that the time I spend on crosswords has sometimes interfered with my language studies.

That's all for now. I'll just leave this here: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=838 😁
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

C=64 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 am Hi, I'm Morgan in PDX, originally from NH/VT. I loved Games magazine as a kid. I have been kinda-speed-solving Thu/Fri/Sat NYT crosswords for a few years but never looked at the WSJ until last week. I'll stick with a tricky puzzle if it's interesting, but I don't care about streaks and won't obsess over solving a meta puzzle if I'm not making headway. I'm happy to fill in the grid and move on.

I teach algebra part-time at a handful of community colleges and have been learning Icelandic, Danish, and Swedish for fun, although I realized that the time I spend on crosswords has sometimes interfered with my language studies.

That's all for now. I'll just leave this here: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=838 😁
Studying Icelandic, Dutch and Swedish for fun? We could not even figure out how to pronounce Icelandic when we were there

Welcome aboard
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Good afternoon, fellow Muggles!

Long-time player but first-time poster. I've been playing this crossword contest for roughly one year and just became an MG patreon! I work in a hospital and love the diversion that these puzzles provide. Originally from Kansas City then out to Indiana and, finally, Durham, NC. I fear I've run out of room to the east without becoming a tag soggy.

Happy to be a part of this happy crew!

Jordan
John77

Post by John77 »

Hi, I'm John.

Used to do Chicago Trib Xwrds as an undergraduate, as a means of tuning up for the verbal section of the MCAT (yes, I'm old).

Started doing the WSJ puzzles about 8 weeks into the "15 days to slow the spread" restrictions.

This site helped me solve my first meta this week, so I'll be back to learn more from the experts. Thanks!
Last edited by John77 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

Hi, I'm Marie. My husband is a faithful WSJ crossword puzzler and introduced me to the Friday puzzles at the beginning of #slowthespread. It's turned into our favorite way to mark the weeks. (Amazing how quickly Fridays come around!) We've enjoyed lots of entertaining (and sometimes frustrating) weeks! After completing a few, I'm excited to join this board after enjoying the friendly banter!
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Hi Bob and All!

I live in North Carolina and was happy to see my Tarheel state get a mention in this week's puzzle. Fairly new to this, but definitely hooked and still learning. Record so far is, 4 of 9 on the metas. Hoping to improve. Solves are sweet!! Misses...not so much.

Best,

Mac
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

halseymac wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 am Hi Bob and All!

I live in North Carolina and was happy to see my Tarheel state get a mention in this week's puzzle. Fairly new to this, but definitely hooked and still learning. Record so far is, 4 of 9 on the metas. Hoping to improve. Solves are sweet!! Misses...not so much.

Best,

Mac
Welcome to another Tarheel!
ricky

Post by ricky »

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few months. I just submitted my WSJ answer for the week and figured now was as good a time as any to join.

Imagine my surprise to see how many other recent registrants are fellow Tar Heels! I live west of Chapel Hill.

I am a writer and longtime trivia obsessive who has been speed-solving crosswords for a little under 2 years and constructing puzzles for about a year. I really enjoy puzzle contests -- I have been doing the NPR Sunday Puzzle for years -- so when I discovered the WSJ contest I was all over it. If I can hold off on doing the contest puzzle until the variety puzzle comes out, I print them out and solve them back to back on Saturday or Sunday morning. I currently get the meta right mmmaybe 1/3 of the time...
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Thank You! Good luck to you next week!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

ricky wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:12 pm Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a few months. I just submitted my WSJ answer for the week and figured now was as good a time as any to join.

Imagine my surprise to see how many other recent registrants are fellow Tar Heels! I live west of Chapel Hill.

I am a writer and longtime trivia obsessive who has been speed-solving crosswords for a little under 2 years and constructing puzzles for about a year. I really enjoy puzzle contests -- I have been doing the NPR Sunday Puzzle for years -- so when I discovered the WSJ contest I was all over it. If I can hold off on doing the contest puzzle until the variety puzzle comes out, I print them out and solve them back to back on Saturday or Sunday morning. I currently get the meta right mmmaybe 1/3 of the time...
Welcome!

Please tell us where and when we can find your crosswords. Love solving puzzles from fellow muggles!
SpicyMcFatburger

Post by SpicyMcFatburger »

Evening all! Mid-thirties HS principal and former English teacher here. I got turned onto the WSJ Crossword Contest last night by a friend asking for help. I joined this board earlier tonight after finding out about it from an article on the WSJ crosswords.

Unfortunately, I solved the meta with my friend at about 11:58pm, right before the answer was posted, so I was stuck ashore. Now, due to my addiction to crosswords, I think I'll stick around for a while.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SpicyMcFatburger wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 am Evening all! Mid-thirties HS principal and former English teacher here. I got turned onto the WSJ Crossword Contest last night by a friend asking for help. I joined this board earlier tonight after finding out about it from an article on the WSJ crosswords.

Unfortunately, I solved the meta with my friend at about 11:58pm, right before the answer was posted, so I was stuck ashore. Now, due to my addiction to crosswords, I think I'll stick around for a while.
Great to have you.

Let us know if you have any questions. The blog is great for suggestions and background on a lot of our comments.

In what school are you a principal?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SpicyMcFatburger wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:09 am Evening all! Mid-thirties HS principal and former English teacher here. I got turned onto the WSJ Crossword Contest last night by a friend asking for help. I joined this board earlier tonight after finding out about it from an article on the WSJ crosswords.

Mid-thirties would make you a youngster among the Muggles. Glad to have you.
SpicyMcFatburger

Post by SpicyMcFatburger »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am

Great to have you.

Let us know if you have any questions. The blog is great for suggestions and background on a lot of our comments.

In what school are you a principal?
I'm in a small, rural high school. I started there as a fresh-out-of-college English teacher and just finished my 11th year in the district. Thanks for the welcome!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Hello All --

I'm Claudia from Hopkinton MA and I just played along (well with others, I hope) for the first time.

I'm a recently retired early childhood educator and I like laughing; books and libraries; traveling when possible -- in in alternative timeline my husband and I would have been returning from Lithuania today; riding my bike -- purple with a wicker basket, no spandex-wearing required or even allowed; and various types of puzzles as long as they involve shapes or words and not numbers.

Some friends remark that I have a quirky sense of humor and whimsical taste, hence my alter ego.

Happy to have met up with the group!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

whimsy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:55 pm Hello All --

I'm Claudia from Hopkinton MA and I just played along (well with others, I hope) for the first time.

I'm a recently retired early childhood educator and I like laughing; books and libraries; traveling when possible -- in in alternative timeline my husband and I would have been returning from Lithuania today; riding my bike -- purple with a wicker basket, no spandex-wearing required or even allowed; and various types of puzzles as long as they involve shapes or words and not numbers.

Some friends remark that I have a quirky sense of humor and whimsical taste, hence my alter ego.

Happy to have met up with the group!
Welcome and we love people from the MA 495 belt
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

Hi everyone - been posting on the forum for a few weeks now but never formally introduced myself.

My name is Nate, I’m 39, and I live about 10 miles north of downtown Denver in suburbia. I’m a proud husband and father of my 8 month old son. I started crosswords when I was 18 after a knee surgery. Been doing them and variety puzzles ever since. I usually wait to do them later at night as a way to “rest” my mind from my job. I subscribed to the Journal in November when my son was born. Didn’t understand metas at first but picked up on them quick. My wife could tell you how proud I get when I solve one on Thursday, and also how frustrated I get on Sundays if I have to throw in the towel. I’m happy I joined this forum but I’ll be even happier once I finally win a mug!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MileHighSolver wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:16 am Hi everyone - been posting on the forum for a few weeks now but never formally introduced myself.

My name is Nate, I’m 39, and I live about 10 miles north of downtown Denver in suburbia. I’m a proud husband and father of my 8 month old son. I started crosswords when I was 18 after a knee surgery. Been doing them and variety puzzles ever since. I usually wait to do them later at night as a way to “rest” my mind from my job. I subscribed to the Journal in November when my son was born. Didn’t understand metas at first but picked up on them quick. My wife could tell you how proud I get when I solve one on Thursday, and also how frustrated I get on Sundays if I have to throw in the towel. I’m happy I joined this forum but I’ll be even happier once I finally win a mug!
Welcome. Good luck winning the mug. And congratulations on being a father. Tell your wife, most of our spouses have the same feelings as she does.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director