Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Name's Nick, I go by Flamel (and I greatly appreciate the Muggles reference). I'm new to doing crosswords regularly, and this whole meta stuff has me a bit confused, but I think I can get that hang of it.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Flamel616 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:40 pm Name's Nick, I go by Flamel (and I greatly appreciate the Muggles reference). I'm new to doing crosswords regularly, and this whole meta stuff has me a bit confused, but I think I can get that hang of it.
Welcome to the group. It takes a while to get metas even if you had been doing crosswords. Look through the Come Aboard/FAQ Community for a lot of tips solving the metas. Also Joe Ross has posted all the prior WSJ contests and their solutions

And feel free to ask questions

Good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Hi, I’m Josh and have been doing the Friday crosswords for a couple months now. Thought it would be nice to join a community of solvers. Just finished the grid for today’s puzzle.
arlecchino

Post by arlecchino »

Hi, you can call me arlecchino, I've been solving the WSJ Friday contests for a few years, trying to get that doggone mug!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

arlecchino wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:44 pm Hi, you can call me arlecchino, I've been solving the WSJ Friday contests for a few years, trying to get that doggone mug!
Welcome to the group. Most of us have been chasing the elusive mug for a while.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Hi, Phyllis here. I'm addicted to the WSJ puzzles as well as jigsaws, sudoku and other wordplay. Although I've been solving the daily puzzles for years, I just started attempting the meta on Friday's puzzles. Like all of you, my new life goal is to win a mug!
Last edited by 802puzzler on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALECgator13

Post by ALECgator13 »

Hi all, Alec here!

I loved trying to help my mom solve the local paper’s crosswords growing up, and graduated to working on the WSJ puzzles in college. Fast forward a couple years, and I now print them off on my lunch break at work to complete!

I’ve been completing Monday WSJ grids regularly, Tuesday/Wednesday grids occasionally, (never a Thursday yet) and a couple Friday grids here and there! Still haven’t completed a meta yet to this point, but I’m so intrigued and hoping to learn and become a master!

I joined today after lurking for a couple of months, to learn from the community and hopefully be able to contribute to help someone else some day!

Any tips / help appreciated and welcome :-)
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

I'm Chuck, Third of his Name. That plus science geek leads to the nickname, Tripod. I used to enjoy tests in school, so now I like to torture myself with Meta. Was feeling the lurking-guilt, so here I am. Thanks for having me on the cruise (and perhaps occasionally the shore).

Spend most of my time working, so Mug-hunting seems like a good way to unwind.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tripod wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 pm I'm Chuck, Third of his Name. That plus science geek leads to the nickname, Tripod. I used to enjoy tests in school, so now I like to torture myself with Meta. Was feeling the lurking-guilt, so here I am. Thanks for having me on the cruise (and perhaps occasionally the shore).

Spend most of my time working, so Mug-hunting seems like a good way to unwind.
Welcome to the clan. We love lurkers. This is a no guilt zone so don't worry. Good luck with this one. There are a lot of the ship including some who are always on the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Hi, I've been here awhile, but just noticed this section (and I wonder why I sometimes fail to 'see' the meta! :))
My name is Kathy. I have always loved crosswords but I could not pull myself away from them to attend to pesky life details. So I allowed myself to solve them on planes, where a 5 hour flight would go by instantly.
My 14 year old son went through a business phase a year ago and his grandpa bought him the WSJ subscription. One day last fall, I discovered the paper had a crossword, and it must have been Friday, because there was this extra question/contest. It was the Knight chess theme puzzle and I had encountered regular puzzles that used paths around the grid before, so I actually had the idea of trying to make L shaped moves, but could not form anything meaningful with it. The rest is history--I have been fully hooked.
I live in San Diego, play tennis, love to cook, hike, learn, listen to music, read...yeah no end to my passions!
I'm so happy this message board exists--I would not be doing metas without it. It really enriches the experience. Thank you!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

stmv wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 pm Hi, I'm a professor at Sauder b-school, UBC, in beautiful Vancouver, BC (so, sadly, not mug-eligible). I've been doing the WSJ metas off and on for some years with some successes, some failures, and I only recently discovered this group. I've been in Vancouver for more than 30 years, and I'm a dual Canadian/US citizen originally from NJ (and proud of it!). I've done crosswords forever, and also juggle, bike, ski, hike, and dote on my grandchildren (to the extent possible these days). I am safely on the beach for the current meta, but never quite made it there last week.
What subject do you teach. I saw the BC but the BC I got my MBA from is Boston College.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
txgordo

Post by txgordo »

Hi - I'm Gordy from Austin TX, by way of New England. I usually do the puzzles on-line, trying to do Monday and Tuesday puzzles in under 6 minutes (my best is a 5:42). I'll admit that I sometimes don't do Friday, because it doesn't allow you to check your grid when you're stuck, and I think I've sent in two replies, but no mugs :(. Looking forward to learning how people find answers!
I am a semiconductor test engineer, married, father of a future doctor and a rocket engineer. Love Texas, the Red Sox, and Catamount hoops!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

txgordo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:55 am Hi - I'm Gordy from Austin TX, by way of New England. I usually do the puzzles on-line, trying to do Monday and Tuesday puzzles in under 6 minutes (my best is a 5:42). I'll admit that I sometimes don't do Friday, because it doesn't allow you to check your grid when you're stuck, and I think I've sent in two replies, but no mugs :(. Looking forward to learning how people find answers!
I am a semiconductor test engineer, married, father of a future doctor and a rocket engineer. Love Texas, the Red Sox, and Catamount hoops!
Go Sox
and welcome to the clan
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
stmv

Post by stmv »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm
stmv wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 pm Hi, I'm a professor at Sauder b-school, UBC, in beautiful Vancouver, BC (so, sadly, not mug-eligible). I've been doing the WSJ metas off and on for some years with some successes, some failures, and I only recently discovered this group. I've been in Vancouver for more than 30 years, and I'm a dual Canadian/US citizen originally from NJ (and proud of it!). I've done crosswords forever, and also juggle, bike, ski, hike, and dote on my grandchildren (to the extent possible these days). I am safely on the beach for the current meta, but never quite made it there last week.
What subject do you teach. I saw the BC but the BC I got my MBA from is Boston College.
I teach Operations (supply chain management).
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

stmv wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:51 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm
I teach Operations (supply chain management).
the past few months will give you a lifetime of case studies
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Hello there. I’m Richard from the upper west side of Manhattan. I’m recently retired, having spent the first part of my adult career life in medicine, before switching to law. I practiced tax law for the past 20 years or so. My puzzle routine includes cryptics wherever I can find them; daily crosswords from the NYT; metas from the WSJ, MGWCC and pgw; and weekend variety puzzles from the NYT and the WSJ. My wife and I enjoy, coronavirus permitting, our season tickets to the New York Rangers, travel, the arts of NYC and each other (of course).
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Hi folks. Figured it was the right thing to do to introduce myself since I have been lurking for awhile. I am an attorney in Charlotte North Carolina and I try to do the puzzle each weekend with my aunt Norma who is 85 and lives in Charleston South Carolina. We usually communicate back and forth via text throughout Friday and the weekend in trying to figure out the grid and the contest. We are far from puzzle people and usually don’t get the contest right, and are simply amazed at those of you who do. Once in a while we get lucky and that sure is a good feeling. But most importantly it is a great way for she and I to stay connected. Cheers to all and thank you to those who maintain the forum and those who post all the thoughtful commentary - especially the contest answer explanations which we typically need each week!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

zacmoretz wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:43 am Hi folks. Figured it was the right thing to do to introduce myself since I have been lurking for awhile. I am an attorney in Charlotte North Carolina and I try to do the puzzle each weekend with my aunt Norma who is 85 and lives in Charleston South Carolina. We usually communicate back and forth via text throughout Friday and the weekend in trying to figure out the grid and the contest. We are far from puzzle people and usually don’t get the contest right, and are simply amazed at those of you who do. Once in a while we get lucky and that sure is a good feeling. But most importantly it is a great way for she and I to stay connected. Cheers to all and thank you to those who maintain the forum and those who post all the thoughtful commentary - especially the contest answer explanations which we typically need each week!
Welcome. I am in Matthews and we are far outnumbered on here by folks from the northeast.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

zacmoretz wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:43 am Hi folks. Figured it was the right thing to do to introduce myself since I have been lurking for awhile. I am an attorney in Charlotte North Carolina and I try to do the puzzle each weekend with my aunt Norma who is 85 and lives in Charleston South Carolina. We usually communicate back and forth via text throughout Friday and the weekend in trying to figure out the grid and the contest. We are far from puzzle people and usually don’t get the contest right, and are simply amazed at those of you who do. Once in a while we get lucky and that sure is a good feeling. But most importantly it is a great way for she and I to stay connected. Cheers to all and thank you to those who maintain the forum and those who post all the thoughtful commentary - especially the contest answer explanations which we typically need each week!
Welcome to you and your aunt. I live in Charleston SC
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Hi all!
My name is John, I'm a retired pulmonary physician. Have been doing the WSJ crossword on ipad off and on for a long time. I've been a lurker here for the past few months and decided it's time to join in!
I've had fairly good luck with the Friday contest this year, though a few of the harder ones have unfortunately stumped me.
No mug yet but I'll keep trying!
As others have mentioned above, thanks to all who organize and maintain the forum!