Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

LizandBritta found their way to the shore for the Multi-media Variety Show. It was a spectacle.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DoubleE07

Post by DoubleE07 »

Hi, I've been doing the WSJ Crossword on and off for about a year, but just started doing the contest puzzles. With a "shelter in place" order here in Dallas, I'll have something to keep me busy on weekends....I'm an electrical engineer, grew up in upstate NY, and have lived in Texas for the last 11 years. I'm a huge baseball fan - I play in an amateur league, and love watching and listening to games on the radio. I also watch the other major sports, and I have a diverse range of teams I follow: Red Sox, NY Giants, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Bayern Munich, FC Chelsea. I also enjoy fishing, camping and wildlife photography (very amateur at this point). Good luck on this week's puzzle everyone, DONT give up on it!
readtobe2002

Post by readtobe2002 »

Hello! I'm Judy from Seattle, stuck at home during this quarantine. But I work from home anyway, so really, life is pretty normal for me. I've been doing crosswords forever, but I didn't know about meta crosswords until recently. My husband read an article about the WSJ Friday puzzle, and I just had to try the one on 3/21/20. I did NOT figure it out. I was thrown off by all the "onshore" comments, and kept looking for something to do with water. I'm not giving up! A little about me: I used to teach high school English but now help with our tree service company. I like gardening and creating fused glass art. I'm also sewing my first quilt and crocheting a baby blanket for grandchild #6, a boy. I sound ancient, but I'm 60 years young. :-) I'm excited to join the Muggles!
NedH39

Post by NedH39 »

Hello, I'm Ned Harris; living in Charlotte, N.C., mostly retired from a software quality consulting career with medical device manufacturers, which started in Silicon Valley, whence I eventually went a few years after I burned out on teaching math at Georgia Tech. I sing in two choruses here, after learning how to sing while with a Slavic chorus in San Francisco. I'm the "ancient mariner" in my local rowing club on the Catawba River ;-) but have found my niche on the indoor rowing machine, beingnationally ranked in my age group. I've been doing crosswords for years, but only discovered the WSJ's metas a few years ago - am still lost at sea more often than not; I've decided that I'm neither a left- nor right-brain person when it comes to this !
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DoubleE07 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm Hi, I've been doing the WSJ Crossword on and off for about a year, but just started doing the contest puzzles. With a "shelter in place" order here in Dallas, I'll have something to keep me busy on weekends....I'm an electrical engineer, grew up in upstate NY, and have lived in Texas for the last 11 years. I'm a huge baseball fan - I play in an amateur league, and love watching and listening to games on the radio. I also watch the other major sports, and I have a diverse range of teams I follow: Red Sox, NY Giants, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Bayern Munich, FC Chelsea. I also enjoy fishing, camping and wildlife photography (very amateur at this point). Good luck on this week's puzzle everyone, DONT give up on it!
Where in upstate NY, if I may ask? (btw, we had an interesting discussion a few months back about the different interpretations of "upstate NY").
TPS

Post by TPS »

baylady

Post by baylady »

Hi to all,
My name is Maura, and I live on the Gulf Coast with my husband of 46 years and dachshund of 13 years. I have been doing the WSJ Sunday crossword for about 6 months, and frequently take all week to get done. I recently became aware that the Friday puzzle contained a puzzle within it, so I tried it Friday. I was able to fill in the grid successfully, but then had not a clue. Cannot wait to see the answer tomorrow, and I take this as a challenge! With the current social distancing I am anticipating getting done a bit quicker. Or maybe not. Anyway, seems like fun. Stay safe, you all.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 pm
DoubleE07 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Where in upstate NY, if I may ask? (btw, we had an interesting discussion a few months back about the different interpretations of "upstate NY").
I missed that earlier discussion of upstate NY. When I went to NYU my mates from the city considered anything north of Yonkers as upstate. I’m now in Ossining. Grew up near Bear Mountain. Hardly upstate. My kid is at Cornell. So getting there.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:58 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 pm
DoubleE07 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm
I missed that earlier discussion of upstate NY. When I went to NYU my mates from the city considered anything north of Yonkers as upstate. I’m now in Ossining. Grew up near Bear Mountain. Hardly upstate. My kid is at Cornell. So getting there.
One of my comments back then was that a NYC person I spoke to thought Yonkers *was* upstate. I'm more dead center, four miles west of crossword-friendly Utica.
laurareidsbooks

Post by laurareidsbooks »

Hi Muggles,
I'm Laura, a middle school English teacher from Nashville, TN. I've been doing crossword puzzles with my mom since I was 12, and about 5-6 years ago we started doing the daily WSJ puzzles. From here, of course, we learned about the wonderful world of metas! And I've been subscribing to MGWCC for 4 years. Having never been a WSJ online subscriber, I've only read the muggles' comments on the metas for years, and now I can be a part of the comments! My husband occasionally helps me solve metas when I am tired of looking at the grid. When we're not solving crosswords, we enjoy watching a variety of sports, breaking out of escape rooms, and watching movies & TV at home with our cats, Jane and Emma (Jane Austen is my favorite author).
Take care, and look forward to solving with yall! :)
LauraR
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

laurareidsbooks wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:25 pm Hi Muggles,
I'm Laura, a middle school English teacher from Nashville, TN. I've been doing crossword puzzles with my mom since I was 12, and about 5-6 years ago we started doing the daily WSJ puzzles. From here, of course, we learned about the wonderful world of metas! And I've been subscribing to MGWCC for 4 years. Having never been a WSJ online subscriber, I've only read the muggles' comments on the metas for years, and now I can be a part of the comments! My husband occasionally helps me solve metas when I am tired of looking at the grid. When we're not solving crosswords, we enjoy watching a variety of sports, breaking out of escape rooms, and watching movies & TV at home with our cats, Jane and Emma (Jane Austen is my favorite author).
Take care, and look forward to solving with yall! :)
LauraR
Laura
Welcome to the group. Looking forward to seeing your posts each week. In the Saturday or Sunday listings, you probably will become Laura B as we have a couple of other Lauras and I am too lazy to type out your full blog name. Good luck with English in this day and age.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

baylady wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:51 pm Hi to all,
My name is Maura, and I live on the Gulf Coast with my husband of 46 years and dachshund of 13 years. I have been doing the WSJ Sunday crossword for about 6 months, and frequently take all week to get done. I recently became aware that the Friday puzzle contained a puzzle within it, so I tried it Friday. I was able to fill in the grid successfully, but then had not a clue. Cannot wait to see the answer tomorrow, and I take this as a challenge! With the current social distancing I am anticipating getting done a bit quicker. Or maybe not. Anyway, seems like fun. Stay safe, you all.
Maura
Welcome to the group. We always love new muggles. Hopefully by Gulf Coast you mean Alabama or Louisiana. I am trying to get a muggle from all 50 states and we don't have these. If you are from FL, Mississippi or Texas, would you mind moving to one of the states we are missing? LOL

We are looking forward to seeing your posts. Don't feel bad if you don't get the answer. The paths that we all take to get to the wrong answer are equally good.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

NedH39 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:46 pm Hello, I'm Ned Harris; living in Charlotte, N.C., mostly retired from a software quality consulting career with medical device manufacturers, which started in Silicon Valley, whence I eventually went a few years after I burned out on teaching math at Georgia Tech. I sing in two choruses here, after learning how to sing while with a Slavic chorus in San Francisco. I'm the "ancient mariner" in my local rowing club on the Catawba River ;-) but have found my niche on the indoor rowing machine, beingnationally ranked in my age group. I've been doing crosswords for years, but only discovered the WSJ's metas a few years ago - am still lost at sea more often than not; I've decided that I'm neither a left- nor right-brain person when it comes to this !
Ned
Welcome to the group. Some of us can be no- brained on the meta - like this week. We have a bunch of muggles from NC so mention that when you post and you will get some responses. Who knows, one of your neighbors may also be a muggle.

Good Luck getting the metas - they take time to get used to
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

readtobe2002 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:03 pm Hello! I'm Judy from Seattle, stuck at home during this quarantine. But I work from home anyway, so really, life is pretty normal for me. I've been doing crosswords forever, but I didn't know about meta crosswords until recently. My husband read an article about the WSJ Friday puzzle, and I just had to try the one on 3/21/20. I did NOT figure it out. I was thrown off by all the "onshore" comments, and kept looking for something to do with water. I'm not giving up! A little about me: I used to teach high school English but now help with our tree service company. I like gardening and creating fused glass art. I'm also sewing my first quilt and crocheting a baby blanket for grandchild #6, a boy. I sound ancient, but I'm 60 years young. :-) I'm excited to join the Muggles!
Judy
Welcome to the group. I think that there are other muggles from Seattle. If you look under Come Aboard/FAQ-Community, you will find explainations of ship and shore and all our other cute words.

Sometime, post some pictures of your fused glass art - that sounds cool.

And 60 is right in the heart of muggle ages. The women are a little younger and the men are a little older, so you are at home.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

DoubleE07 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:53 pm Hi, I've been doing the WSJ Crossword on and off for about a year, but just started doing the contest puzzles. With a "shelter in place" order here in Dallas, I'll have something to keep me busy on weekends....I'm an electrical engineer, grew up in upstate NY, and have lived in Texas for the last 11 years. I'm a huge baseball fan - I play in an amateur league, and love watching and listening to games on the radio. I also watch the other major sports, and I have a diverse range of teams I follow: Red Sox, NY Giants, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars, Bayern Munich, FC Chelsea. I also enjoy fishing, camping and wildlife photography (very amateur at this point). Good luck on this week's puzzle everyone, DONT give up on it!
Welcome to the group. As Al defined below, you can tell where someone from NY State is by their definition of "Upstate". I grew up between Oneonta and Binghamton and we considered Upstate as north of the Southern Tier line. My cousin in Alexandria Bay puts the line north of the Thruway.

I have lived in the Boston area since college so you made good points with the Red Sox, lost some with the NY Giants, Mavericks and Stars. I also am a photographer doing a lot of wildlife so I change my avatar each week with something different but always something I have taken.

Last thing, we have a lot of muggle EE's. Being from NY State, I graduated from RPI.

Good luck on the metas and we hope to see your comments this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bigmelr1180

Post by bigmelr1180 »

Hello! I am new to this puzzle but not to crosswords. I am a flight attendant with a blown ACL, so I have a good bit of free time on my hands. I'm struggling with these metas. I've been going back and doing old puzzles and trying to work backwards, but so far no go. My hope it to be able to solve one before I have to go back to work full time.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Hello! I was introduced to the Meta crosswords by a co-worker and have been trying to solve them since "The Fourth Man", June or July last year, mostly successfully. I've been lurking in this group since about then, but have hesitated to join because I cannot be a true Muggle. I left the Fair Fifty about four decades ago and have been back only a handful of times. As such, I am not eligible to win a mug. Muggless, maybe?
Last week I was humbled by Matt Gaffney and, out of sheer desperation, joined the group in order to get nudge toward the answer. The nudge wasn't quite enough, and I decided that if I didn't get it (MONOTONOUS!?), I should forgo that route and just be patient until the answer was posted. But once I registered already, I figured I'd ask if I could stick around, even though a Muggle I 'm not. What do you say?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Schmeel wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:36 am Hello! I was introduced to the Meta crosswords by a co-worker and have been trying to solve them since "The Fourth Man", June or July last year, mostly successfully. I've been lurking in this group since about then, but have hesitated to join because I cannot be a true Muggle. I left the Fair Fifty about four decades ago and have been back only a handful of times. As such, I am not eligible to win a mug. Muggless, maybe?
Last week I was humbled by Matt Gaffney and, out of sheer desperation, joined the group in order to get nudge toward the answer. The nudge wasn't quite enough, and I decided that if I didn't get it (MONOTONOUS!?), I should forgo that route and just be patient until the answer was posted. But once I registered already, I figured I'd ask if I could stick around, even though a Muggle I 'm not. What do you say?
Welcome, and please stay! You have about as much of a chance at winning the mug as we do! :-D
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 am
Schmeel wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:36 am Hello! I was introduced to the Meta crosswords by a co-worker and have been trying to solve them since "The Fourth Man", June or July last year, mostly successfully. I've been lurking in this group since about then, but have hesitated to join because I cannot be a true Muggle. I left the Fair Fifty about four decades ago and have been back only a handful of times. As such, I am not eligible to win a mug. Muggless, maybe?
Welcome, and please stay! You have about as much of a chance at winning the mug as we do! :-D
I just looked at the "Contest Rules" at the WSJ website and found that only residents of the US are eligible to win, so Schmeel is correct that he/she will not win the Coveted Cup. We are, however happy to welcome him/her as a Muggle.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Where do you reside now? Always interested in hearing about new places.