Joe Ross' Guide to Solving the WSJ Meta with Excel

What is a Muggle? What is the KAS scale? This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use.
KayW

Re: Joe Ross' Guide to Solving the WSJ Meta with Excel

Post by KayW » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Back on the grid to find that my post-enlightment was correct. And as requested, here is the eight by ten glossy, albeit sans circles and arrows:
chaingang.JPG

Emmaa

Post by Emmaa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:03 am

This format is really AWESOME, Joe!

juliet

Post by juliet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Does the Joe Ross Excel process require more than just Acrobat Reader?

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:55 pm

juliet wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:54 pm
Does the Joe Ross Excel process require more than just Acrobat Reader?
Yes, Juliet. This is a way to use Microsoft Excel to highlight answers & clues and to create lists to explore paths to answers.

You could use Adobe Acrobat Pro or other graphic & spreadsheet software, but I don't think that Acrobat Reader has the highlighting & text tools.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:27 am

August 30, 2019 SHORT STORIES thought process:
20190830 SHORT STORIES meta.gif
Spent too much time with UBRY until giving up.

Jotted down columns of the short words made whole, missing letters (which turned out to be the correct RH), vertically crossing answers, answer anagrams, anagrams without to letters in the themed answers, and more. Decided to sleep on it.

Took up UBRY, again. Bleh. Saw URBY as a possibility taking the four shortened words left to right versus top to bottom in clue order. AHA? URBY rang a small bell. Admit to taking it to a web search & found the WSJ article which I had read when published two years before. Patting myself on the back for having an inkling of this memory, I was sure this was the answer for awhile, but it seemed too obscure for people outside of the east coast to "get". I still posted that I was on shore on Friday afternoon. :oops:

Assuming the answer had to be related to short msgs on the web, apps, etc., I played over the remaining columns of stuff & generated one or two more columns. Spent too much time trying to make UBER work. AHA!, saw YO _ _, AE _ _, & WH _ _ answers, then searched for E _ _, disappointed that EAT was horizontal versus vertical, like the other three. Picky, no?

REMEMBER: This tool is no different than printing out multiple copies of the puzzle on paper, which many muggles prefer. This is another version of the same tool, but allows "erasures" & moving of scribbles, highlights, circles, arrows, and paragraphs on the back.

Emmaa

Post by Emmaa » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 am

JR: Your work elegantly, beautifully, and brilliantly tracks my meta journey through “Short Stories,” only taking it further, with narrative, to the conclusion, and beyond: poetic imagery, confetti and rainbows, a vivid key that speaks a thousand words. Perfection! Thanks!