Joe Ross' Guide to Solving the WSJ Meta with Excel

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Link to WSJ+CC Part 2 Variations on a Theme Excel Form

Link to WSJ+CC Part 2 Variations on a Theme PDF

[EDIT1: Corrected the Excel form. Some of the grid blocks were protected, since I used a previous 17x17 non-standard grid from another puzzle & forgot to be sure all were unprotected. If you previously downloaded, use the same link above for the corrected form. My apologies!]

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Last edited by Joe Ross on Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:12 pm

It's difficult to keep up with which are subscription-based & which aren't. Also, as in the case of crosshare.org's excellent puzzles, the creators instruct that or may prefer solving & submitting via the online form for tracking statistics.

I'd rather that the creators tell me that published spreadsheet forms for their puzzles are allowed & wanted. I do not want to post without permission nor deter traffic from creators' websites.

As it stands, I create Excel forms & publish links for WSJCC (permission received) & MMM (permission assumed - Creators: let me know if you'd rather not). I also create & share MGWCC & MMMM with subscribers who let me know that they want them. I have created for other metas posted here, but I am not 100% sure that creators welcome them, nor if muggles use them.

FWIW: The most effective use of Excel for solving puzzles is for the WSJ weekly Number Puzzles, Killer Sudoku, in particular, if other nerds, like me, solve them.

Anyone may PM me with questions or comments, or post to the Solving ... Metas Using Excel topic. Your ideas & feedback are welcome & essential. Severe criticism is welcome, but may be better left for PMs. ;)