"Disbanded" -- Washington Post -- May 3, 2020

Puzzles from one of the best in the business which include themed crosswords and metas.
Sunday Crossword by Evan Birnholz
Washington Post Sunday puzzle reveals.
ChrisKochmanski

"Disbanded" -- Washington Post -- May 3, 2020

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Fun meta in the Sunday Post. Not hard, but involving.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Concur.
damefox

Post by damefox »

I enjoyed this one! Good practice for Tuesday's MMMM. Fun fact: Evan Birnholz and I share an alma mater (we never overlapped though), and our alumni magazine did a write-up on him when he first became the WaPo crossword guy, which is what really got me into solving crossword puzzles. I was a much more casual solver before then.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

Liked this a lot
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Elegant construction.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I liked the Grid - it was a smooth solve even having never heard of 4 of the 5 songs. But because I know nothing about music I'm not even going to bother with the meta because it seems like you probably need to in order to solve it.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

The meta is very solvable without any knowledge of the songs. Read the title.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Cindy wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:11 pm The meta is very solvable without any knowledge of the songs. Read the title.
Well I had found a band while finishing the grid but I don't really know but one of their songs - that's why I figured I wouldn't be able to do it because if you don't know a song I don't know how you would be able to put it together from clues.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well that was fun! No music knowledge required.
Heidi
boharr

Post by boharr »

Does anyone know when and where the solution will be posted? I don’t have a WaPo subscription. And have never done one of their puzzles?
TPS

Post by TPS »

Well I figured it out - but only through Google - so to say you don't need music knowledge is not entirely accurate - you don't need music knowledge if you use google.
Hector

Post by Hector »

The solution is already posted at Evan's blog.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/evan-birnholz/
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

TPS wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 pm Well I figured it out - but only through Google - so to say you don't need music knowledge is not entirely accurate - you don't need music knowledge if you use google.
Google is fair game for a meta.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cindy wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:34 pm
TPS wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:21 pm Well I figured it out - but only through Google - so to say you don't need music knowledge is not entirely accurate - you don't need music knowledge if you use google.
Google is fair game for a meta.
All you gotta know is what to Google.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Another puzzle where I ask HOW DO THEY DO THAT??? It was actually pretty difficult, and long (but of course it became evident why it wa so long). Still I got all the letters and had a tough time because I'm used to them being in order or at least ACROSS then DOWN. I had to play with he letters for some time because I got a word going with the ACROSS then DOWN that anagrammed to a word that could easily have been in an 80's song (though more likely a 70;s song)

Brilliantly laid out, cannot imagine the difficulty in doing that.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Fun! One of my favorite songs and bands at the time.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I made the big mistake of thinking the meta would be found using the same mechanism as step 1. When you assume.....it’s so true.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Meg wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm Well, I made the big mistake of thinking the meta would be found using the same mechanism as step 1. When you assume.....it’s so true.
I briefly went down that path too! But then I thought first I should see if something else worked... I was a bit surprised when it did, actually.