Chris Words Origin Story (meta suite)

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Wow! Well done, Barbara. I never thought to assemble the four grids into one big one. I just wrote both sets of letters (A-M and N-Z) along each axis of each puzzle and took the first letter to be the X-coordinate and the second letter to be the Y-coordinate no matter which part of the alphabet they were from. I ended up with SUM ITO COG ERGO and figured that the answer must be COGITO ERGO SUM. I wondered what the logic was to having the pieces out of order, and now I know.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Absolutely never would've gotten this. Forget the grid coordinates, just getting the two-letter abbreviations was nigh impossible. HI and HD both came to mind as preceding RESOLUTION and UN never entered into it. Also UB FORTY, what?? WD FORTY I've at least heard of, but unfortunately, like Hector, I took the double-asterisk to mean that the abbreviation preceded both words, not that there were two abbreviations, so I had SF FORTY-NINERS. This was semi-supported by the fact that the clue itself did not refer explicitly to the football team, which would've made me think twice about using SF in the meta.

Well done, Barbara!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Wow, I'm in awe of Chris for thinking this up, and even more so of Barbara for solving it! I had given up a while ago after getting absolutely nowhere. It did cross my mind that maybe we were supposed to assemble the grids, but I had no hope of figuring out what to do with them after that. I never got the two-letter thing at all, doh!

UB40 was a reggae band that was briefly popular ("Red Red Wine") when I was in high school (mid/late 80s).
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:56 pm UB40 was a reggae band that was briefly popular ("Red Red Wine") when I was in high school (mid/late 80s).
I had a UB40 t-shirt that had Russian writing on the back for some reason. I remember wearing it to Russian class in '87 or '88 in case the cute guy who sat behind me needed some help with his Cyrillic alphabet. Alas, he never spoke to me. :D