arctan(x)words puzzle 125: "Best Two Out of Three"

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
Laura M

arctan(x)words puzzle 125: "Best Two Out of Three"

Post by Laura M »

Many thanks to Tina in the WSJCC thread, who noted:
Christopher Adams has a meta this week. http://arctanxwords.blogspot.com/
I'm always glad to have a new source for crosswords (meta or not), so I'll be working my way back in the archives! This meta felt a little obscure to me but I finally got it, and I liked the grid a lot. No prize, nowhere to submit as far as I can tell, just fun! Anyone else do this one?
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I have the grid.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I did it. I got it. Thanks for sharing.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I've submitted a guess, based on three items of information I needed to Google (having known a fourth). Tough one!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hector wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:36 pm I've submitted a guess, based on three items of information I needed to Google (having known a fourth). Tough one!
Oops, i didn't realize we were supposed to submit anywhere! I guess I missed the window, the solution is up. (I'll still avoid spoilers.) I knew one piece of information but when I Googled two more, it became clear(er). Eventually I got the order right but still had to Google to get the final answer, because it's not something I... encounter... a lot. Made sense though.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 pm
Hector wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:36 pm I've submitted a guess, based on three items of information I needed to Google (having known a fourth). Tough one!
Oops, i didn't realize we were supposed to submit anywhere! I guess I missed the window, the solution is up. (I'll still avoid spoilers.) I knew one piece of information but when I Googled two more, it became clear(er). Eventually I got the order right but still had to Google to get the final answer, because it's not something I... encounter... a lot. Made sense though.
I gave it a try but then forgot to get back to it and lost it in a void. Where is the solution?
Hector

Post by Hector »

The solution is up? I don't see it on http://arctanxwords.blogspot.com/

Your meta experience sounds exactly similar to mine.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hector wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 pm The solution is up? I don't see it on http://arctanxwords.blogspot.com/
Whoops, sorry! I was looking at a different puzzle on the site and saw a "solution" link (which I didn't click on before I wrote the post). I guess it's not up yet, maybe I'll still send mine in!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Go for it! I just got a nice email confirming that my answer was correct.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I found my completed grid and now remember having no idea what to do with it. I look forward to seeing the solution, though. Thanks for the new source, Laura!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Wow! Excellent meta. I had the three correct TLAs, but got no further than that.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Wow. That would have been difficult for me. Lots to look up there. But I'm impressed with the solvers. Still killing it, Hector!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hector wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:24 pm Go for it! I just got a nice email confirming that my answer was correct.
I did! Immediately after my previous post, but I didn't make it back here to say so. I also got a nice email confirming my answer and saying that he was just about to post the solution. I also realized that "order" in my previous post was an unintentional spoiler :-)
LesY

Post by LesY »

Not sure how I feel about this one. There’s another mechanism that gets 3/4 of the way to “DAIQUIRI” which I liked better. The intended path was clever but seemed a little clunky, at least to me.

Maybe I’ll pocket my learnings and start writing metas! :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

LesY wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 pm Not sure how I feel about this one. There’s another mechanism that gets 3/4 of the way to “DAIQUIRI” which I liked better. The intended path was clever but seemed a little clunky, at least to me.

Maybe I’ll pocket my learnings and start writing metas! :)
Hope you do. I'd love to solve one of your metas!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Thanks Barbara!