Countdown

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Meg

Countdown

Post by Meg »

Is that count down to the WSJ at the top of the page a new thing, or has it been there all along and I never noticed?
Will it go into minus numbers if the puzzle appears at 4:30?
I think it’s just adding more stress to my life! What day is it? Which puzzle am I going to do? Ack!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Meg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm Is that count down to the WSJ at the top of the page a new thing, or has it been there all along and I never noticed?
It is new and at this point, temporary. It's not quite ready for "prime time," but I need to have it up today because someone else is helping me with it and they need to be able to see it. One of the things we are trying to fix is to get it to say "1 Day" and "1 Hour" instead of "1 Days," "1 Hours."
No, the idea is that at 4:00 will transition to a countdown to the contest deadline. I can only tie it to the time, not the actual release of the puzzle.
I think it’s just adding more stress to my life! What day is it? Which puzzle am I going to do? Ack!
Well now I'm giving away a little more than I intended, but another thing I am trying to figure out is if I can get the countdown to only appear in the proper sub-forum. So, the one you're seeing everywhere now would only appear in the WSJ forum. But another one for MGWCC would appear in that forum and same for PGWCC, MMMM, etc.

Unless you all hate it, in which case I will just dump it. :?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I love it!

Saw it this morning, and was wondering the same thing - was it really new, or had it been there a while and I just never noticed.
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm
Meg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm Is that count down to the WSJ at the top of the page a new thing, or has it been there all along and I never noticed?
It is new and at this point, temporary. It's not quite ready for "prime time," but I need to have it up today because someone else is helping me with it and they need to be able to see it. One of the things we are trying to fix is to get it to say "1 Day" and "1 Hour" instead of "1 Days," "1 Hours."
No, the idea is that at 4:00 will transition to a countdown to the contest deadline. I can only tie it to the time, not the actual release of the puzzle.
Well now I'm giving away a little more than I intended, but another thing I am trying to figure out is if I can get the countdown to only appear in the proper sub-forum. So, the one you're seeing everywhere now would only appear in the WSJ forum. But another one for MGWCC would appear in that forum and same for PGWCC, MMMM, etc.

Unless you all hate it, in which case I will just dump it. :?
So basically, you’re not just adding the countdown, you’re doing it exactly the way you want and learning how in the process. I can relate. Of course we love it!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Can some folks in time zones other than EST (U.S. east coast) take a look at the countdown and let me know if it's set to end at the right time? It's supposed to count down to midnight Sunday NYC time, but a member in Zambia (!) sent me a PM that it was counting down to midnight his local time, which obviously is a problem since that's not when the contest ends!

Thanks in advance!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Working fine here in SF:

BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Hector wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:01 pmWorking fine here in SF
Thanks, Hector. Zambia reported back that it's working correctly there now too. :)
KayW

Post by KayW »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:31 am Can some folks in time zones other than EST (U.S. east coast) take a look at the countdown and let me know if it's set to end at the right time? It's supposed to count down to midnight Sunday NYC time, but a member in Zambia (!) sent me a PM that it was counting down to midnight his local time, which obviously is a problem since that's not when the contest ends!

Thanks in advance!
Brian - the countdown clock is correct here in Chicago CDT. Thank you for adding this. And I can't say this enough - as always a BIG thank you for all your work in providing this forum!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

No countdown clock for this week? I liked it!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I was missing it this morning and just now noticed that it’s back🙂