Clever Clues and Answers

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
CandyB

Clever Clues and Answers

Post by CandyB »

Got a good laugh from the of Head of Parliament answer in today’s WSJ crossword. Might be one of my favorites.

Anyone else have a memorable clue & answer combo that has stuck with them?
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

My favorite has always been this one from a cryptic crossword (i'm omitting the answer in case someone wants to give it a shot):

Set start for Holmes with A Study in Scarlet
Inca

Post by Inca »

I need the number of letters to attempt this...please
Hector

Post by Hector »

Eight. :-)
Inca

Post by Inca »

Hector wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pmEight. :-)
Well, I really thought that would help me a lot but somehow I am finding this really hard to chip away at without the context of the whole puzzle. I guess that makes sense for me because I'm just a dabbler at the cryptics. I love doing them and getting all those Aha! moments, but I really have to work hard at them and don't get to do them all that often. But I haven't given up yet (although I'm a bit skeptical since it is one of Al's favorite clues); just taking a break and will get back to it probably on Sunday.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am My favorite has always been this one from a cryptic crossword (i'm omitting the answer in case someone wants to give it a shot):

Got it! Love it!
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Wow! What a clue! I’ve never tried cryptics before either.

This one has me stumped.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Got it. :) Love the cryptics!!! I'm a huge HEX fan, and can't get enough of their puzzles.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
LesY

Post by LesY »

I got it, too! Maybe there’s hope for me and cryptics. Will try the WSJ Saturday puzzle (a cryptic this week).
KayW

Post by KayW »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 am My favorite has always been this one from a cryptic crossword (i'm omitting the answer in case someone wants to give it a shot):

Got it!! Love it!! I am a big HEX fan but don't remember this one. Thank you for posting! I'm still hanging with Isaac on this week's contest. Maybe this solve will be the confidence boost I need to get me to that solution.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

KayW wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Got it!! Love it!! I am a big HEX fan but don't remember this one. Thank you for posting! I'm still hanging with Isaac on this week's contest. Maybe this solve will be the confidence boost I need to get me to that solution.
Actually, I just remembered it as follows, "Solid debut of Holmes: 'A Study in Scarlet' (8)." As an avid Sherlock fan and collector, I was even more impressed, since that was the first Sherlock Holmes story.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 pm
KayW wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Actually, I just remembered it as follows, "Solid debut of Holmes: 'A Study in Scarlet' (8)." As an avid Sherlock fan and collector, I was even more impressed, since that was the first Sherlock Holmes story.
Finally got it. Thanks AL. That was fun. No on to this week's cryptic puzzle.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

OK, I give up. The answer is?
Rufus T. Firefly
Hector

Post by Hector »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 am

Check your PMs.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I just got back to this today. Still haven't gotten it but haven't given up.......yet. I'm no cryptic expert, by any means; the clues make me think so hard my head hurts. I can only think about them a few minutes at a time and hope that my subconscious does the work for me so that when I look at it again, the answer is clearer to me. It didn't work this time :|
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Inca wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 am

I just got back to this today. Still haven't gotten it but haven't given up.......yet. I'm no cryptic expert, by any means; the clues make me think so hard my head hurts. I can only think about them a few minutes at a time and hope that my subconscious does the work for me so that when I look at it again, the answer is clearer to me. It didn't work this time :|
Ouch! Didn't mean to make anyone suffer... I will say this though: Cryptics, more than anything else, taught me how to think outside the box; to say "never mind the obvious... what *else* can this word mean?" So let me know when you want the answer.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Hector wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 am

Check your PMs.
Thanks. This is why I don't do cryptics. Must have something to do with being and engineer...
Rufus T. Firefly
Inca

Post by Inca »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am
Inca wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 am

Ouch! Didn't mean to make anyone suffer... I will say this though: Cryptics, more than anything else, taught me how to think outside the box; to say "never mind the obvious... what *else* can this word mean?" So let me know when you want the answer.
<Crying, "Uncle!"> Ready for that answer. Please message me. Thanks
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I really liked this pair in the LA Times Sunday crossword yesterday, "Abracadabra" by Kevin Salat. It doesn't really work as a "guess the answer from the clue," so I ROT13-ed both the clues and answers to try to avoid spoilers if you're planning to do that puzzle (go to rot13.com to translate):

1Q Snpgf naq svtherf - VASB
40Q Vasb va guvf chmmyr? - BARQBJA
KayW

Post by KayW »

Laura M wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:29 pm I really liked this pair in the LA Times Sunday crossword yesterday, "Abracadabra" by Kevin Salat. It doesn't really work as a "guess the answer from the clue," so I ROT13-ed both the clues and answers to try to avoid spoilers if you're planning to do that puzzle (go to rot13.com to translate):

1Q Snpgf naq svtherf - VASB
40Q Vasb va guvf chmmyr? - BARQBJA
I did this puzzle in the Chicago Tribune on Sunday - I got a chuckle out of it too. And thank you for introducing me to ROT13! That's a great way to avoid spoilers.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.