Proposal to lock old threads

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Proposal to lock old threads

Post by BrianMac »

Would anyone object if I started locking threads about puzzles that are more than 2-3 weeks old? I think it would be nice to maintain the chronological order of the threads in each category, and if they are left open someone can post in an old thread which would bump it to the top of the forum.

cant_handle.png

Locked threads are still accessible in every way, you just can't post to them anymore. I've gone ahead and locked the very first threads in WSJ and MGWCC so you can see what it looks like (these were "practice" threads anyway and posted after the contests were over). I think it makes sense to leave the last couple weeks open for people who are catching up or have been on vacation, and that's easier for me to manage keeping in order. Over time, we will have a nice index of the commentary and reactions to the puzzles and you can link to a locked thread if you want to refer to it.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts on the matter. I won't do anything one way or the other until after this weekend's contest ends. Thanks!

Brian
Meg

Post by Meg »

I think it’s a fine idea. Has anyone told you that you are doing a great job?? You are!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm fine with the idea too.

A side observation: It's kinda cool to sit here and watch our little community grow day by day, bit by bit, in just a few short weeks. After being forced to leave the comfort and familiarity of our first home, a few brave souls took the kernel of an idea and set out to form a new world. New to this unknown landscape, we learned together and worked together...we watched the population increase, and leaders emerge, we've added functionality as needed, and formed trade partnerships, and rules of conduct have been proposed and voted on... Why does this all sound so familiar?

I also agree with Meg, you're doing a great job.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BrianMac wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:07 am Would anyone object if I started locking threads about puzzles that are more than 2-3 weeks old?

Brian
Makes sense to me - a week or so to discuss the solution, allow for late solvers, and for winners to be congratulated.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I'm OK with it as well. Whatever makes the forum easier to manage and better.....
KayW

Post by KayW »

Makes perfect sense to me; yet another great idea on your part.

And to echo the previous sentiments - thank you SO much for setting up and maintaining this fantastic forum!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

It makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for all your work on this.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:57 am I'm fine with the idea too.

A side observation: It's kinda cool to sit here and watch our little community grow day by day, bit by bit, in just a few short weeks. After being forced to leave the comfort and familiarity of our first home, a few brave souls took the kernel of an idea and set out to form a new world. New to this unknown landscape, we learned together and worked together...we watched the population increase, and leaders emerge, we've added functionality as needed, and formed trade partnerships, and rules of conduct have been proposed and voted on... Why does this all sound so familiar?

Al
One interesting thing I have noted is that there are over 30 new people posting here who did not post on the WSJ web site but based on their comments and knowledge of ship/shore etc. are clearly familiar with our community. The WSJ would like us back but I have explained to them that there are two reasons it won't happen - 1) that nonsubscribers still could not post and 2) there is so much flexibility and options with this blog that we don't want to give up.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am

Al
One interesting thing I have noted is that there are over 30 new people posting here who did not post on the WSJ web site but based on their comments and knowledge of ship/shore etc. are clearly familiar with our community. The WSJ would like us back but I have explained to them that there are two reasons it won't happen - 1) that nonsubscribers still could not post and 2) there is so much flexibility and options with this blog that we don't want to give up.
Bob, the WSJ would like us back? Whom did you talk to? Someone other than Mike Miller? I’m wondering why the WSJ gave up all the advertising exposure.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:27 am

Al
Bob, the WSJ would like us back? Whom did you talk to? Someone other than Mike Miller? I’m wondering why the WSJ gave up all the advertising exposure.
Besides Mike who I have had some off line emails with, I have traded comments with another woman staffer. I am not sure her position.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I am on board with this idea and also wish to thank you for putting this together and doing such a good job maintaining it.
SueJ

Post by SueJ »

I am also on board with this idea. I am one of the "new people" here who did not post on the WSJ site but had lurked for a long time and am not currently a subscriber. Also I appreciate all you have done to create and maintain this community although I have not been as active as I would like to be. It's my busy season merchandising perennials in this winter-like weather here in Detroit.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SueJ wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm I am also on board with this idea. I am one of the "new people" here who did not post on the WSJ site but had lurked for a long time and am not currently a subscriber. Also I appreciate all you have done to create and maintain this community although I have not been as active as I would like to be. It's my busy season merchandising perennials in this winter-like weather here in Detroit.
Come to Mississippi. You can sell plants here pretty much year round. We have four seasons in MS. Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas. I wish I could say that I made that up, but I heard it from someone else. And welcome to the Land of the Muggles.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to go ahead and close the older puzzle threads, but leave the current week's puzzle and two weeks previous always open. I think WSJ, MGWCC and PGWCC are the only affected sections at this time.