Variations on a theme

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Congratulations, Meg!!!

And yay for the shout-outs to Bob and Barbara!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Eric Porter wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:04 pm Congrats Meg!

At work, they scheduled an interview for me at the same time as the WSJ+ event, so unfortunately I couldn't watch it. I thought that there was a good chance that a muggle would win. Did they announce how many correct answers were submitted?
I don’t think so. If you watch the replay, Mike Miller says my name 12 minutes in. Wow!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Meg, I am so thrilled for you!!!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Congrats Meg...on a well-deserved win!
So happy it's you!
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Because of the parenthetical "the thing speaks for itself" in 24A and the answer to 1D being "utter" we were going for homophones.

MEAT led to the the grid answer HAM (clued "deli option"). 32D is ARUBAN which reads like "a rueben" which could be ordered at a deli. Weird having the article there, but then we noticed that SAREE (clued "ranee wear") and the homophone for 15A AVAIL is "a veil". Couldn't backsolve any connection from SAREE to tame, atem, or team, but still found it hard to give up the homophone angle.

What a wonderful time listening these three special people today! Thank you X 3.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Solved. I've been busy this week and didn't look at this until after the deadline. My first rabbit hole was words that sound like letters (SEE, TEA, EYE, EWE) but then when I found EM, the ATEM jumped out at me. Experience has taught me that a clue like 66A is there for a reason.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Congrats Meg!
My rabbit hole was anagramming the words to POUT, ETCH, HALL and then .... nothing. Pout went witb Sob so I started in that direction anyway. Then I backed up and found the right way...with some help.
Kaille

Post by Kaille »

Congratulations, Meg! So excited for you - what a great way to win your first mug!