Variations on a theme

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

Variations on a theme

#1

Post by Cindy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:59 pm

Bonus meta from today’s q and a. If anyone wants to comment.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#2

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Cindy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:59 pm
Bonus meta from today’s q and a. If anyone wants to comment.
Find the PDF & Excel clues & grid forms HERE.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#3

Post by BarbaraK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 pm

I’m pretty sure I see enough to know that this involves something I’m not good at.

User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

#4

Post by Cindy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 pm

Joe Ross wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm
Cindy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:59 pm
Bonus meta from today’s q and a. If anyone wants to comment.
Find the PDF & Excel clues & grid forms HERE.
Thanks joe.

LesY
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:21 pm

#5

Post by LesY » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Oh my, I solved it! Thanks for the special puzzle, Mike!

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#6

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:31 pm

In the Q&A they mentioned sending in the answer but it was quick and I did not get the address

also when I first did this, it was not clear that there was a meta
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Hector
Posts: 797
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

#7

Post by Hector » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm

wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#8

Post by TPS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Hector wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm
wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.
I hate it when you aren’t done after the first step.

User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

#9

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:45 am

TPS wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 pm
Hector wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm
wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.
I hate it when you aren’t done after the first step.
No, you're gonna love it. For me it was a great aha moment. Worth working for it.

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#10

Post by TPS » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:08 am

ChrisKochmanski wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:45 am
TPS wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 pm
Hector wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm
wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.
I hate it when you aren’t done after the first step.
No, you're gonna love it. For me it was a great aha moment. Worth working for it.
Well the difference is that I am horrible at these. After this weeks Gaffney debacle for the Friday contest - I don’t think I am going to even attempt this one.

User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

#11

Post by Cindy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:32 am

Lovely! and solved.

User avatar
Meg
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

#12

Post by Meg » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:37 am

Not easy at all! But the mechanism is elegant!

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#13

Post by Bob cruise director » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:23 am

Hector wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm
wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.
when is the deadline?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

#14

Post by Cindy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 am

Bob cruise director wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:23 am
Hector wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm
wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.
when is the deadline?
next thursday

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#15

Post by Joe Ross » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:32 am

Cindy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 am
Bob cruise director wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:23 am
Hector wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm
wsjplusteam@wsj.com

Fun one! I like it when you're not done after the first step.
when is the deadline?
next thursday
WSJplusCC Part 2 Variations on a Theme due NOON Sept 17th 2.gif

MikeM000
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:31 am
Location: Metro Detroit

#16

Post by MikeM000 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Bravo! Nice mix of straightforwardness and the needed AHA moment.

First time I've used the Joe Ross Excel format...pretty nice! Different when you're used to actual made-for-crosswords apps but much easier for me than printing a paper copy. So thanks for that!

Ok, so now that the Friday noon hole has been filled by the Gaffney delay....

boharr
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

#17

Post by boharr » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Got it. Tough.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#18

Post by Joe Ross » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Very cool! Loved it.

TPS, you can get this, if you haven't, already.

stmv
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:12 pm

#19

Post by stmv » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm

This was not so easy (both grid and meta), but somehow I got it anyway. As MikeM000 said, this was a nice replacement for the missing MGWCC Friday meta.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#20

Post by Joe Ross » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:47 pm

TPS wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:08 am
ChrisKochmanski wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:45 am
TPS wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 pm


I hate it when you aren’t done after the first step.
No, you're gonna love it. For me it was a great aha moment. Worth working for it.
Well the difference is that I am horrible at these. After this weeks Gaffney debacle for the Friday contest - I don’t think I am going to even attempt this one.
You can solve this, Todd. The Basics.

Post Reply