WSJ live online puzzle event September 10 and 17

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Post Reply
User avatar
Annabelle
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:26 pm

WSJ live online puzzle event September 10 and 17

#1

Post by Annabelle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:01 pm

I found a note today at the WSJ puzzle page about this event and this link: https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/2020/09/09 ... rosswords/

Presenters include Matt Gaffney, Mike Shenk, and puzzle editor Michael Miller, talking about creating and solving crosswords. Also a special puzzle from Matt! Apparently, you do have to be a member of WSJ+ to participate.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#2

Post by BarbaraK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:16 pm

There's a note on the bonus puzzle, "Attend WSJ+ Live: Across and Down with WSJ Crosswords—Tricks of the Trade on September 10 at 3:00 PM EDT to hear Matt talk about making this puzzle."

I think 26A was for us muggles. Arguably 12A and even the beginning of 28A too :)

I believe you have to have an account at the WSJ site but don't actually have to be a subscriber. The confirmation email indicated that non-members can register at https://register.wsj.com/register

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#3

Post by TPS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:52 pm

It seems like you have to be a WSJ+ subscriber to enter the "Special" Crossword Contest that they mentioned.

User avatar
ky-mike
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:22 pm
Location: Louisville Ky

#4

Post by ky-mike » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Can someone share the PDF of next week's puzzle that will be discussed in the live stream? Not a member of WSJ+, I can't access via the provided link.

(Am I allowed to ask for this?)

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#5

Post by TPS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 pm

ky-mike wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:52 pm
Can someone share the PDF of next week's puzzle that will be discussed in the live stream? Not a member of WSJ+, I can't access via the provided link.

(Am I allowed to ask for this?)
Yes, it is actually illegal in most states to offer a contest w/ a prize and not make it open to everyone because then it constitutes a form of gambling. But they can put access to the puzzle behind a firewall if they desire but they can not stop other people from sharing it if they so desire.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#6

Post by BarbaraK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:55 pm

If you missed the show, it looks like you can replay it at
https://www.wsj.com/live-qa/wsj-live-ac ... 2E940488C6

User avatar
Janet P
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm

#7

Post by Janet P » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Muggles were well represented in the comments/questions :)
“For myself, I am an optimist. It does not seem much use being anything else...”
― Winston Churchill, The Lord Mayor's Banquet, 9 November 1954

User avatar
FrankieHeck
Posts: 729
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Location: West Virginia

#8

Post by FrankieHeck » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:25 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:55 pm
If you missed the show, it looks like you can replay it at
https://www.wsj.com/live-qa/wsj-live-ac ... 2E940488C6
Mike Miller has such a nice, soothing voice. I was trying to figure out who the voice reminded me of, and then it hit me...my Pal, Sal!

User avatar
Meg
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

#9

Post by Meg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:18 pm

That was great!

User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

#10

Post by Cindy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Anybody doing the bonus meta?

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#11

Post by BarbaraK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:20 pm

I just finished the grid.

I think only Bob or Brian can create a new topic for it on the WSJ forum.

User avatar
Cindy
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Location: Matthews

#12

Post by Cindy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:20 pm
I just finished the grid.

I think only Bob or Brian can create a new topic for it on the WSJ forum.
I just started a new topic. Still in Acapulco lounge.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#13

Post by Joe Ross » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:14 pm

Cindy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 pm
BarbaraK wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:20 pm
I just finished the grid.

I think only Bob or Brian can create a new topic for it on the WSJ forum.
I just started a new topic. Still in Acapulco lounge.
Find the PDF & Excel clues & grid forms HERE.

M and M
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 7:57 pm

#14

Post by M and M » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:18 pm

If you can get to this next week, don't miss it. It was a blast! So fun to hear Mike and Matt talk about their craft.

They answered lots of questions that we all have, although the real question - how anyone can come up with all of these clever ideas - remains unanswerable.

User avatar
Hector
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

#15

Post by Hector » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 pm

OMG that was awesome. Three super-engaging people, interesting stuff about construction, and a Muggles shout-out?!

User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

#16

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 am

Sorry I missed it.Will it be available as a recording to download? Anyone know?

The bonus meta, BTW, is a really good one.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#17

Post by BarbaraK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:57 am

ChrisKochmanski wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 am
Sorry I missed it.Will it be available as a recording to download? Anyone know?

The bonus meta, BTW, is a really good one.
Don’t know about download, but you can watch it on their site

https://www.wsj.com/live-qa/wsj-live-ac ... 2E940488C6

User avatar
ChrisKochmanski
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm

#18

Post by ChrisKochmanski » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:57 am
ChrisKochmanski wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 am
Sorry I missed it.Will it be available as a recording to download? Anyone know?

The bonus meta, BTW, is a really good one.
Don’t know about download, but you can watch it on their site

https://www.wsj.com/live-qa/wsj-live-ac ... 2E940488C6
Watched it. Wonderful! Thanks!

User avatar
whimsy
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am
Location: Hopkinton MA

#19

Post by whimsy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Just watched Part 1 -- thanks for the links, all!
For those wondering about Matt's clock -- I thought I noticed a bird statuette (no, not the Maltese Falcon) in front of it -- could it have been the CUCKOOCLOCK from Frou-Frou Phrases?

Post Reply