How I met the meta?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Al Sisti

Re: How I met the meta?

Post by Al Sisti » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:10 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 pm
oldjudge wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 pm
In high school I competed on the math team (yes, we really had a math team). In fact, the highlight of my high school “athletic” career was a playoff against Stuyvesant HS for the N Y City championship.
...Missed my high school graduation because the big regional meet was the same weekend.
What a coincidence! I almost missed my high school graduation because of math too.

Laura M

Post by Laura M » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 pm
oldjudge wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:01 pm
In high school I competed on the math team (yes, we really had a math team). In fact, the highlight of my high school “athletic” career was a playoff against Stuyvesant HS for the N Y City championship.
Oh, my! Another math teamer! My senior year, I made the county-wide team. Missed my high school graduation because the big regional meet was the same weekend.

Every time I think I couldn't be any surer that this is my tribe, something else pops up. Love this group!
Math nerds represent! My dinky HS math team never got farther than state or had higher-level teams or competed against Stuyvesant (!) but it was still pretty much the best thing in high school.

MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi I'm new here...

As I said elsewhere, I've been puzzling all my life thanks to my mom and her getting GAMES magazine and buying me huge newsprint puzzle books and doing newspaper crosswords and the like.

The pandemic has really turned me into a crazed person with the puzzles for sanity's sake and the metas have been my main focus. I have been an AVCX subscriber for about a year and sometimes go weeks with them D/Ling to my tablet without looking at them. Someone likely on Twitter was all "holy crap!!" about the Gaffney puzzle they published for Passover. I didn't get *it* (Catholic upbringing and all) but I *got* it and started googling, finding Matt's own puzzle site as well as the WSJ weekly and this forum. Now thanks to all of you I've found Muller, PGW, and a fella named Will as well as your homemade efforts. The great thing about the meta is that even if you don't solve it, you've at least done a high quality crossword for your efforts...