Submitting your WSJ answer

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
FrankieHeck

Submitting your WSJ answer

Post by FrankieHeck »

So I'm pretty new to this, and I have a silly question. Do most of you email your answer to the WSJ, or do you use the submit button?

I have been printing out the puzzles so I can highlight, circle, look closely at the clues, etc., so I have been emailing the answer. If I use the "submit" option, do I actually have to complete the puzzle online as well, or just send in the answer?

And most importantly...mug winners....which way did you submit your answer? (Not that I am superstitious :D )
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I always email.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I usually email.

I emailed my winning entry. I can't remember if online submission was even available yet back in 2016 when I won my mug.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Email. I solve on paper and didn't even know you could submit through the site until I heard about it on the blog.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I always email (unless I forget). I asked recently on the WSJ comments whether it made any difference in our chances, and was told it did not...that we call go in the same pile, one is chosen, and wins if the answer is correct. (I have a cupboard full of other mugs, but this is definitely the most elusive of prizes.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:29 pm So I'm pretty new to this, and I have a silly question. Do most of you email your answer to the WSJ, or do you use the submit button?

I have been printing out the puzzles so I can highlight, circle, look closely at the clues, etc., so I have been emailing the answer. If I use the "submit" option, do I actually have to complete the puzzle online as well, or just send in the answer?

And most importantly...mug winners....which way did you submit your answer? (Not that I am superstitious :D )
Just noticed that none of us answered the second part of your question.

In order to submit through the website, you must have a letter in every square, but it does not have to be the correct letter. If you've solved on paper, you can just fill the online grid with Xs and that will make the Submit button active.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Thanks, everyone!!
Icdogg

Post by Icdogg »

Email and email
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

dot wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:33 am If anyone's having trouble submitting their answer on the WSJ crossword page, make sure you only use the 26 letters and space, and nothing else.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

The good thing about email is (if you save old email) you can pull up a list of all your past answers and see if you have earned a virtual mug already! I’m 1/10th of the way there after five years :/

Micromug calculator created by xivxav:
markhr

Post by markhr »

I can tell you that of my 244 non-mug-winning answers, probably 95 percent have been submitted online. I will e-mail it when it doesn't accept the submittal, or when I feel like changing things up a bit (which doesn't seem to help).

The online form doesn't accept punctuation, so if the correct answer is, say, "Pike's Peak", it will not accept that when submitted. In that case, I simply e-mail the answer.

I'll have to calculate my micromug shares. That's as close as I'm likely to get to a real mug.