What are you watching..

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
mkmf
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Re: What are you watching..

#61

Post by mkmf » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 pm

whimsy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm

The Detectorists -- a couple of guys using metal detectors to look for treasure (but no, not a documentary.) That might sound like watching paint dry and to some extent it is -- very slow and gentle. Maybe Mister Rogers for adults. The first 10 minutes I thought the characters must be losers -- they kind of reminded me of carnies. But that only served to chasten me that things can be more than what they seem, or my first assumptions. Ended up just loving them all, and looking to promote them.
Whimsey - totally agree, The Detectorists is the best! I generally tell people to watch at least two episodes before they decide if they like it or not. And with some people I warn them that it might seem like the show is making fun of them but that it is not.

User avatar
whimsy
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am
Location: Hopkinton MA

#62

Post by whimsy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 pm

Great to meet another fan, mkmf!
They do just kind of grow on you.
And a very satisfying ending to the series too!

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#63

Post by BarbaraK » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

So is there anything else worth watching? I've got 29 more days. No kids, no interest in cartoons and such, and I've already seen Star Wars.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#64

Post by KayW » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

So is there anything else worth watching? I've got 29 more days. No kids, no interest in cartoons and such, and I've already seen Star Wars.
Have you seen The Greatest Showman? Lots of eye and ear candy; I liked it a lot.

I also watched Beyonce's Black is King. It's not really my kind of music but it was a curiosity and a few of the tunes were catchy.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#65

Post by BarbaraK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:12 pm

KayW wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm
BarbaraK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

So is there anything else worth watching? I've got 29 more days. No kids, no interest in cartoons and such, and I've already seen Star Wars.
Have you seen The Greatest Showman? Lots of eye and ear candy; I liked it a lot.

I also watched Beyonce's Black is King. It's not really my kind of music but it was a curiosity and a few of the tunes were catchy.
The Greatest Showman was the second thing I watched. (Disney apparently thought that was a good match for Hamilton too.) It was fun.

I'll add Black is King to my list.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#66

Post by KayW » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:42 pm

For 24 hours starting at 5pm CDT Thursday 8/20, Lookingglass Theatre will stream a Chicago performance of Eastland: An Original Musical that was taped in 2012. I saw this production back then and really enjoyed it. It's about a 1915 boating tragedy that happened in downtown Chicago and claimed 800+ lives. The story is not widely known, even in Chicago.

https://lookingglasstheatre.org/event/e ... tch-party/

Lookingglass is doing this as a fundraiser, but you can stream free on youtube or facebook.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#67

Post by KayW » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:12 pm
KayW wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm
BarbaraK wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

So is there anything else worth watching? I've got 29 more days. No kids, no interest in cartoons and such, and I've already seen Star Wars.
Have you seen The Greatest Showman? Lots of eye and ear candy; I liked it a lot.

I also watched Beyonce's Black is King. It's not really my kind of music but it was a curiosity and a few of the tunes were catchy.
The Greatest Showman was the second thing I watched. (Disney apparently thought that was a good match for Hamilton too.) It was fun.

I'll add Black is King to my list.
BTW I'm not necessarily recommending it - I could never have sat still and just watched the entire video. It's essentially a 90-minute music video. I left it running in one window while I was doing other things on my computer. However, I'm not really a Beyonce fan...

And also BTW I was rather disappointed that it was Disney+ that got Hamilton. It does not seem like a good fit with the rest of their catalog, and like you I have little interest in most of the rest.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#68

Post by BarbaraK » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:20 am

KayW wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm

And also BTW I was rather disappointed that it was Disney+ that got Hamilton. It does not seem like a good fit with the rest of their catalog, and like you I have little interest in most of the rest.
I'd have happily paid $7 just to see Hamilton, even if it wasn't part of the subscription. So on a personal level, I don't really care if there's nothing else there worth watching. But it is odd that they would pay for and promote a show to draw in customers who are highly unlikely to want to stick around.

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#69

Post by KayW » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:36 am

BarbaraK wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:20 am
KayW wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm

And also BTW I was rather disappointed that it was Disney+ that got Hamilton. It does not seem like a good fit with the rest of their catalog, and like you I have little interest in most of the rest.
I'd have happily paid $7 just to see Hamilton, even if it wasn't part of the subscription. So on a personal level, I don't really care if there's nothing else there worth watching. But it is odd that they would pay for and promote a show to draw in customers who are highly unlikely to want to stick around.
My sentiments exactly. I've kept the subscription for a second month just to be able to re-watch. And I could easily subscribe for a few years without paying as much as I did to see Hamilton live, so it is quite a bargain!

Laura M
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

#70

Post by Laura M » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi, I'm "I tried to watch My So-Called Life for the first time, but I gave up because Angela is a whiny brat and mean to her mom" years old.

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#71

Post by TPS » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Laura M wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Hi, I'm "I tried to watch My So-Called Life for the first time, but I gave up because Angela is a whiny brat and mean to her mom" years old.
I loved My So Called Life - that show had amazing potentially it just came out a decade too soon.

Laura M
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

#72

Post by Laura M » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm

TPS wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:34 pm
Laura M wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm
Hi, I'm "I tried to watch My So-Called Life for the first time, but I gave up because Angela is a whiny brat and mean to her mom" years old.
I loved My So Called Life - that show had amazing potentially it just came out a decade too soon.
Oh, I've no doubt I would have loved this show if it had been around when I was a teenager! (It was a decade too late in my case.) I've heard about how groundbreaking it was and how so many people loved it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Really I intended to make fun of myself for being too old and out of touch to tap into my inner teen anymore... I apologize if it came off as critical of the show.

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#73

Post by TPS » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Laura M wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm
I apologize if it came off as critical of the show.
No worries - I didn’t take your original post that way.

Post Reply