Westchester County (NY) 22nd Annual Crossword Puzzle Tournament

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Westchester County (NY) 22nd Annual Crossword Puzzle Tournament

Post by BrianMac »

The 22nd annual Westchester County Crossword Puzzle Tournament is taking place this Friday, September 20, at Will Shortz's table tennis club in Pleasantville, New York.

The tournament starts at 7:30 and ends at 9:45, at which time there is a wine and cheese reception. This is a really fun event that I have attended the last four years. It's a nice chance to meet and schmooze with Will Shortz. Last year, Sam Ezersky (author of the NYT Spelling Bee and Letter Boxed puzzles) and Joel Fagliano (author of the NYT Mini puzzle) were there as well. If you've ever wondered what a crossword puzzle tournament is like, this is a great one to go to without the pressure of hundreds of people like some of the major tournaments.

Full details are available HERE and I've reproduced them below as well.
Westchester Table Tennis Club
175 Tompkins Avenue, Pleasantville, NY (914) 741-0738

Fri., Sept. 20 (7:30-9:45pm)

Where: Side room

Time: 7:30 - 9:45 p.m., immediately followed by a reception

Details: Solvers will race to do four unpublished crosswords from The New York Times — a Monday puzzle (15 minutes), Tuesday (20 minutes), and Wednesday (20 minutes). The fastest correct solver from each round will advance to a playoff, featuring a Thursday puzzle, solved on large boards for everyone to watch. Contestants may compete either individually or in pairs. Hosted by Will Shortz.

Prizes: Trophies and puzzle books will be awarded to the best overall solvers, as well as the best solvers in each of these categories: 25 years or under, 60 years or over, Pleasantville resident, and first-time contestant. Prizes will also be given to the best solvers working in pairs. Book prizes are provided courtesy of St. Martin's Press.

Reception: Beer, wine, cheese, fruit, and delicious desserts, offered to all contestants courtesy of the Pleasantville Fund for Learning.

Cost: $40 (individual) or $50 (for a pair)

All proceeds go to the Pleasantville Fund for Learning, which for 25 years has supported educational innovation in Pleasantville schools through grants to teachers and students.
If you decide to go, please try to find me and introduce yourself. I think they have name tags, but if not, just look for a 6-foot tall red-headed 14-year-old, who is my son Sam, and I will be nearby (he is much more distinct-looking and easier to notice than me :D).
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh wow, that sounds like so much fun! Wish I could be there.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

The tournament was a great success. Turnout was good and fun was had by all. Glenn (don't know his last name) won for the second time. Jeffrey Schwartz (another previous winner and perennial finalist) and someone I don't know were the other finalists. And it was topped off by a special surprise at the end. Some pictures:

Will Shortz opens the tournament and explains the rules:
IMG_4563.JPG

Puzzle 1 underway:
F47658F2-02EB-4267-96B0-B344CF234979.jpeg

The finals:
3737C01B-A562-4F01-A986-5E69B6F10E9D.jpeg

Glenn finishes first:
IMG_4571.JPG

After the others finish, Will confirms they're all accurate and announces Glenn has won:
3F66D425-0E50-4A45-8D69-561E387162AD.jpeg

At this time, Will explained that the finals puzzle, which had a theme with the word RING as a rebus and included the words ENGAGEMENT and AMANDA, was actually commissioned by one of the tournament participants. This guy (didn't catch his name) then came up, and started speaking to his girlfriend (you guessed it), Amanda:
F8408381-45EA-403C-B65F-03E59A7B273E.jpeg
55CD668C-E203-42A0-A667-5C72ADD10038.jpeg

At this point, I yelled, "Don't do it, man!" (Just kidding).
She said "yes."
105B1EE4-F28B-4628-AD1E-5ECE06A1ED3D.jpeg

There was applause and weepy eyes and then the reception started. Unfortunately, I had to run and couldn't stay for that. It was great and I can't wait for next year.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

That looks like so much fun!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Are those pretzels on the tables?? Was Bunny there?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Thanks for sharing.