Isaac Favorite icon!

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BrianDavidson

Isaac Favorite icon!

Post by BrianDavidson »

Very cool on my iPad bookmark!
A49FE6DC-D80A-4779-8BE9-5C93EAB71BB5.jpeg
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Only took 20 weeks to figure out how to do it. :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Care to share how? Especially if it will work for non forum websites too.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:08 pm Care to share how? Especially if it will work for non forum websites too.
It's something called a "favicon" that's in the code of the website, so it's a matter of whether the website has it or not. For example, this is the favicon for Crossword Fiend:

xword fiend icon.png

It's not something you can control as a user, but you can add it if the website has it. If you're on an Apple device and you add the site to your favorites or your home page, you should now see the Isaac icon where it used to just be a box with an "X" in it (because that's the first letter of the website). If Crossword Fiend did not have a favicon, then you would just get a "C" when you bookmarked it or added it to your home screen.

isaac icon.png

If you have the site bookmarked as a favorite, or have it set on your home screen, then hopefully it should now be showing Isaac instead of the "X". If you're still getting the "X", try to remove the bookmark or home screen icon and resetting it, and you should get Isaac.

screen.png

One question I do wonder is how it works on a non-Apple (Android) device. :?:
Hector

Post by Hector »

BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:08 pm Care to share how? Especially if it will work for non forum websites too.
It's something called a "favicon" that's in the code of the website, so it's a matter of whether the website has it or not.
Thanks!

A website I manage has a nice image on the regular version - which does incorporate the favicon, now that you mention it, but just a plain letter on the phone version. Now I know what to look for when (OK, if:) I want to do something about that.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Thanks, Hector!

Barbara, this is the site that guided me through it: https://realfavicongenerator.net/

It generates about 10 lines of code, each for different devices, but I only ended up using one of the lines:

Code: Select all

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="https://www.xword-muggles.com/forums/apple-touch-icon.png">
The phpbb software has a lot of online articles and support, so I just Googled around to see where to put the line. If your site is not phpbb, it might be different, but if it is, let me know and I can tell you where I put it. Also you have to create the icon and save it as "apple-touch-icon.png" in the "root" folder (again, not sure if that's phpbb specific or not). I wish I could be more helpful, but I barely understand it myself. Lots of trial and error.