Lollapuzzoola

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Cindy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm
Cindy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:08 pm It was a really fun day!
I did well (time-/accuracy-wise) with the at-home tournament puzzles, but that wasn't under any pressure. Not sure I could ever do one these live ones.
Results. Bit.ly/lpz12 - You can see how fast some of these folks were. I thought I was doing really well on puzzle one by finishing it in six minutes and zero mistakes. Others finished it in 2.5 minutes with no mistakes. But it was great fun.
Yeah, in retrospect, I would've been humbled (btw, you had me on #1 by 10 seconds, and we split the next four 2-2... but you were under the spotlight and I was sitting by my pool with a beer and a pipe or two. Well done!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Cindy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:08 pm It was a really fun day!
I did well (time-/accuracy-wise) with the at-home tournament puzzles, but that wasn't under any pressure. Not sure I could ever do one these live ones.
Results. Bit.ly/lpz12 - You can see how fast some of these folks were. I thought I was doing really well on puzzle one by finishing it in six minutes and zero mistakes. Others finished it in 2.5 minutes with no mistakes. But it was great fun.
Thanks. I really enjoyed it. There were fun games in between the puzzles too. I plan to go back next year. I am pondering the CT tournament in the spring. But I doubt I will be able to work it in my schedule.
docison

Post by docison »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:29 pm
docison wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:39 am I did go to Boswords (now 2 weeks ago). Went well in terms of my finish (lost a tiebreaker for 3rd!) but also for the camaraderie and fun! For all of you who live in areas where crossword tournaments are held, I can't recommend the experience highly enough!
Are any held in the Boston area?
Boswords (hence the name) is held in the Boston area - at Roxbury Latin. Unfortunately, you just missed it - it happens in late July - but there will for sure be another one (4th annual) in July 2020. Go to boswords.org!
docison

Post by docison »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Yeah, in retrospect, I would've been humbled (btw, you had me on #1 by 10 seconds, and we split the next four 2-2... but you were under the spotlight and I was sitting by my pool with a beer and a pipe or two. Well done!
Maybe - but almost everyone at those tournaments would be humbled by the meta prowess that you both exhibit!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Finished the scored puzzles and submitted my times. Puzzle 4 knocked me down a peg and deserves an Orca.

I’m going to try the Express Finals puzzle and see if I can get anywhere.

After that i’ll circle back to the meta suite and see if I can get #8.
Hector

Post by Hector »

The At Home Division scores are posted: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1174909854

I'm precisely average!
LesY

Post by LesY »

LesY wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm Finished the scored puzzles and submitted my times. Puzzle 4 knocked me down a peg and deserves an Orca.

I’m going to try the Express Finals puzzle and see if I can get anywhere.

After that i’ll circle back to the meta suite and see if I can get #8.
I heard on the Fill Me In podcast that puzzle 4 did receive an Orca - two in fact, including one for Best Crossword Puzzle of the Year. Awesome! Congrats to Maddie and Doug!