Favorite books?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I just downloaded The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle based on the recommendation of prolific NYT crossword constructor Mike Nothnagel, who wrote on Twitter:
If you like at least a few of:
— time travel
— puzzles
— decrepit English manors
— being delightfully confused
— murder mysteries
— twists
— gasping at twists

then you should definitely read [Stuart Turton's] The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Like, immediately.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BrianMac wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:09 pm I just downloaded The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle based on the recommendation of prolific NYT crossword constructor Mike Nothnagel, who wrote on Twitter:
If you like at least a few of:
— time travel
— puzzles
— decrepit English manors
— being delightfully confused
— murder mysteries
— twists
— gasping at twists

then you should definitely read [Stuart Turton's] The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. Like, immediately.
Well, you certainly have *my* attention!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 am If you're looking for a quick, satisfying read with tons of humor, tie-everything-up endings, good courtroom sequences, lots of humor, a great ensemble cast, and -- oh, did I mention lots of humor? -- you really can't do better than [b]David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series.[/b]
Just read my first Andy Carpenter book (Open & Shut) and really enjoyed it.
Thanks for giving me a new author/series to read.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Inca wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:20 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 am If you're looking for a quick, satisfying read with tons of humor, tie-everything-up endings, good courtroom sequences, lots of humor, a great ensemble cast, and -- oh, did I mention lots of humor? -- you really can't do better than [b]David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series.[/b]
Just read my first Andy Carpenter book (Open & Shut) and really enjoyed it.
Thanks for giving me a new author/series to read.
So glad you enjoyed it... Every one is good, and -- if possible -- should be read in order, as characters develop over the canon.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:33 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:00 pm Newest Cole/Pike due out in 4 days...
I am stoked. Have the first ebook copy reserved at library. Will have finished it within 4.2 days from now.

Will purchase it in hardcover, when in Clevetown, & hope to get Crais's signature.
Just finished his latest, "A Dangerous Man." Man, can that guy write...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:27 pm Just finished his latest, "A Dangerous Man." Man, can that guy write...
I agree! Finished it early Wednesday. I prefer when Elvis Cole has the narrative, but still am a dedicated fan of Joe Pike: loaded with testosterone without being over-the-top macho & cartoonish.

I'm now knee-deep into David Rosenfelt's 1st Andy Carpenter, Open and Shut. I made the mistake of listening to the first several chapters via audiobook, when traveling Wednesday. I've saved the book (& author) for me by reading on. Great stuff! Looking forward to the rest of series.

Question for all: Do you enjoy audiobooks?

I see the convenience of audiobooks when driving, exercising, gardening, etc., but I find myself glossing over significant chunks of the work and having to go back to re-read or listen again.

Also, the narrator is critical. Open and Shut's narrator is dead-on a young William Demarest (Uncle Charlie in My Three Sons), and - IMO - delivered the author's constant humor with too much schlock. By contrast, Titus Welliver is a great narrator, even beyond Michael Connelly's Bosch books, in which he's fantastic (& much better then the previous narrator). He also narrates Robert B. Parker's VIrgil Cole/Everett Hitch series.

The narrator can disrupt my mind's view of characters developed via reading. I have specific actors I'd cast for Elvis Cole & Joe Pike, but I wouldn't blurt them out, here, lest they ruin others' takes on their favorite characters. Maybe this is why Robert Crais refuses to sell the rights to his Cole/Pike characters. I'll ask him Wednesday.

When that sweet spot is hit for me, i.e. Welliver as Bosch, audiobooks can be a great ride.

Another question: Do you enjoy e-books, or do you only read on paper?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:27 pm Just finished his latest, "A Dangerous Man." Man, can that guy write...
I agree! Finished it early Wednesday. I prefer when Elvis Cole has the narrative, but still am a dedicated fan of Joe Pike: loaded with testosterone without being over-the-top macho & cartoonish.

I'm now knee-deep into David Rosenfelt's 1st Andy Carpenter, Open and Shut. I made the mistake of listening to the first several chapters via audiobook, when traveling Wednesday. I've saved the book (& author) for me by reading on. Great stuff! Looking forward to the rest of series.

Question for all: Do you enjoy audiobooks?

I see the convenience of audiobooks when driving, exercising, gardening, etc., but I find myself glossing over significant chunks of the work and having to go back to re-read or listen again.

Also, the narrator is critical. Open and Shut's narrator is dead-on a young William Demarest (Uncle Charlie in My Three Sons), and - IMO - delivered the author's constant humor with too much schlock. By contrast, Titus Welliver is a great narrator, even beyond Michael Connelly's Bosch books, in which he's fantastic (& much better then the previous narrator). He also narrates Robert B. Parker's VIrgil Cole/Everett Hitch series.

The narrator can disrupt my mind's view of characters developed via reading. I have specific actors I'd cast for Elvis Cole & Joe Pike, but I wouldn't blurt them out, here, lest they ruin others' takes on their favorite characters. Maybe this is why Robert Crais refuses to sell the rights to his Cole/Pike characters. I'll ask him Wednesday.

When that sweet spot is hit for me, i.e. Welliver as Bosch, audiobooks can be a great ride.

I, too, find myself drifting off when I try to listen to an audio book. And I agree that the narrator is key. One of the best is Will Patton, who reads the (excellent!) Dave Robicheaux series written by the (even more excellent!) James Lee Burke.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am Another question: Do you enjoy e-books, or do you only read on paper?
I read both e-books and paper books. I prefer paper, but it's so much easier and cheaper to download an e-book from the library, so I've gotten kind of used to that. Plus, I can never remember books I've read. The good thing about library downloads is that if I've already read a book, it will take me to the end of the book when I load it. Saves me from getting halfway through before things sound familiar. (I do keep track of more recent reads on Goodreads, but I never remember to look at it. You could say I have a memory problem....)

Another thing I like about reading on the Kindle is being able to get the definition of a word with just a tap. And occasionally I'll want to go back and refresh my memory about a certain character, and I can easily type in a name and search for earlier references.

I don't do audiobooks. I've only done two or three that way, and I just don't like it. I guess I'm not a good listener. Sometimes I space out when I'm reading, too, but then it's so easy to just flip back and re-read the page. And I prefer to go at my own pace, rather than the narrator's. Sometimes I need to think about something I've read for a minute, or read it a few times, or look up some words, etc. If I'm listening, I just roll with it and don't take the time that I otherwise would. I enjoy seeing the actual words on the paper.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am Another question: Do you enjoy e-books, or do you only read on paper?
I read both e-books and paper books. I prefer paper, but it's so much easier and cheaper to download an e-book from the library, so I've gotten kind of used to that. Plus, I can never remember books I've read. The good thing about library downloads is that if I've already read a book, it will take me to the end of the book when I load it. Saves me from getting halfway through before things sound familiar. (I do keep track of more recent reads on Goodreads, but I never remember to look at it. You could say I have a memory problem....)

Another thing I like about reading on the Kindle is being able to get the definition of a word with just a tap. And occasionally I'll want to go back and refresh my memory about a certain character, and I can easily type in a name and search for earlier references.

I don't do audiobooks. I've only done two or three that way, and I just don't like it. I guess I'm not a good listener. Sometimes I space out when I'm reading, too, but then it's so easy to just flip back and re-read the page. And I prefer to go at my own pace, rather than the narrator's. Sometimes I need to think about something I've read for a minute, or read it a few times, or look up some words, etc. If I'm listening, I just roll with it and don't take the time that I otherwise would. I enjoy seeing the actual words on the paper.
Yeah, and I actually love the touch and smell of a real book.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 am

I will say this in favor of Kindle books... when I finish a book in a series at, say, 2 AM, I am only a click away from buying/jumping into the next one.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:49 am Yeah, and I actually love the touch and smell of a real book.
Same here.

Another thing I miss when I use the Kindle is seeing the cover every time I shut the book. (And I do shamelessly judge books by their covers.) I think maybe that is a big part of why I don't remember what books I've read: I no longer see the title and author every time I put the book down. Half the time, I don't remember the title or author as I'm reading it. Someone will ask what I'm reading and I'll hit a button that will let me see the title, but even then I don't see the author. I wish the Kindle screensaver could be the picture of the book I am actually reading.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:44 am Question for all: Do you enjoy audiobooks?
First question: No, I can't stand audiobooks. I've tried a few. At best, they still don't sound as good as written words do in my head, and at worst... they can be pretty bad.
Second question: Apologies to all of the traditionalists, I do understand, but I love my Kindle and I've read e-books pretty much exclusively for the past 5 years or so. I've been known to check out e-books from the library that we already own in physical format. I can set the Kindle down anywhere and it stays open, and I can turn the pages easily, so I can read while I'm exercising, cleaning, cooking, folding laundry, etc. And I can take it with me anywhere, and if I finish the book I'm on, I can easily get a new one. I can check out nearly all the books I want from the library without leaving my house. I read so many more books now than I used to!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

NERD ALERT: All libraries supported by the state of Ohio allow state residents to register for library cards. Better: Nearly all have "electronic accounts" for digital titles, which don't require a visit to apply and renew. I belong to & borrow from all Ohio public libraries & consortiums, a total of 9. I admit to starting with my local library, but expand to the others, if a title I want is on hold. I don't abuse the privilege too badly, since the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County is second only to the New York Public Library of U.S. public libraries by total collections. 3 other Ohio libraries are in the top 20.

I use the Overdrive app on my phone, but Kindle is supported, too. Dayton Metro Library has several apps.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:19 am I'm a little embarrassed because I was all "Yay book recommendations!" and didn't read the thread carefully. Now, seeing that Frankie had posted an example of some of her favorites, I'm not sure that my recommendations were at all appropriate.

So that anyone can better judge my list, this is what I like in a book (roughly in order of importance):
1) A plot that keeps moving at a pretty good clip, driven by some assortment of the following: problems to solve, mysteries to figure out, and obstacles to overcome
2) Well-developed characters that I end up caring about, and (preferably) feel that I would like and respect
3) Humor
4) A good proportion of (well-written) dialogue
5) A satisfying conclusion: there's some sort of denouement that feels right, and even if everything isn't happily ever after, at least there seems to be hope for the future

Obviously I gravitate toward mysteries and thrillers because they're the most likely to hit most of these (2 is sometimes in short supply). But there are other books that work the same way for me. For example, the James Herriot books are great because usually each chapter introduces a new problem for the vet to figure out (sometimes it's an animal's owner), and my other preferences are also very well covered.

The Cole/Pike series is one of my favorites in the private detective category, and I'm psyched to find out that there's (about to be) another one! Thanks to Al and Joe for bringing that to my attention; I honestly thought I'd heard at the time that The Wanted would be the last. Robert Crais is great for pulling you in with what starts out as a lighthearted caper, but somehow ends up gutting you near the end--these books wring you out, but in a good way.

Anyway: Frankie, it might not be your usual thing but I hope you like The Monkey's Raincoat!
Well I was mostly just interested in what other people enjoy, so I was thrilled to see all the recommendations! I think that the only thing I'd read from your list was "A Man Called Ove," and another by the same author and I liked them both a lot. I think it's fun to check out what other people enjoy, even if it's not my thing at all. Now I have lots to sample.That's another good thing about borrowing on a Kindle...I can download a book and try out a chapter or two, and if it's not to my liking, I'm on to the next one.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Laura M wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:19 am
The Cole/Pike series is one of my favorites in the private detective category, and I'm psyched to find out that there's (about to be) another one! Thanks to Al and Joe for bringing that to my attention; I honestly thought I'd heard at the time that The Wanted would be the last.
Robert Crais, tonight, witnessed live & in person, "I will write Elvis and Joe until I die."

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:45 am If you're looking for a quick, satisfying read with tons of humor, tie-everything-up endings, good courtroom sequences, lots of humor, a great ensemble cast, and -- oh, did I mention lots of humor? -- you really can't do better than David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series.
Well into David Rosenfelt's 2nd Andy Carpenter, FIRST DEGREE. Question: Is it possible Carpenter's secretary, Edna, is based on a real person and that real person is a muggle?

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I keep meaning to thank Al for the Andy Carpenter recommendation! I'm also enjoying this series, and in addition I picked up another David Rosenfelt book, a standalone called Don't Tell a Soul, and was hardly able to put it down! A super compelling "regular guy caught in circumstances out of his control" thriller, similar in feel to Linwood Barclay.

Speaking of, I keep being reminded of other great authors and series that I want to recommend in the thriller/mystery genre. From more lighthearted to more serious:

Lawrence Block - Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar) series
J Michael Orenduff - The Pot Thief series
David Handler - The Stewart Hoag (and his dog, Lulu) series
Harlan Coben - Myron Bolitar series (IMO very similar in feel to Cole/Pike), and many standalone thrillers
Karin Slaughter - Grant County series, Will Trent series
David Baldacci - several series, all good

I finally just got A Dangerous Man off the hold list at the library and looking forward to reading it!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Laura M wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:58 pm I keep meaning to thank Al for the Andy Carpenter recommendation! I'm also enjoying this series, and in addition I picked up another David Rosenfelt book, a standalone called Don't Tell a Soul, and was hardly able to put it down! A super compelling "regular guy caught in circumstances out of his control" thriller, similar in feel to Linwood Barclay.

Speaking of, I keep being reminded of other great authors and series that I want to recommend in the thriller/mystery genre. From more lighthearted to more serious:

Lawrence Block - Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar) series
J Michael Orenduff - The Pot Thief series
David Handler - The Stewart Hoag (and his dog, Lulu) series
Harlan Coben - Myron Bolitar series (IMO very similar in feel to Cole/Pike), and many standalone thrillers
Karin Slaughter - Grant County series, Will Trent series
David Baldacci - several series, all good

I finally just got A Dangerous Man off the hold list at the library and looking forward to reading it!
Thanks for the leads. I just bought the new Stephen King and the newest in the Lisbeth Salander series. Most of all, looking forward to John Connolly's newest Charlie Parker book, Book of Bones, due out (in the US) this month.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I just noticed this thread. The Cole/Pike novels sound intriguing. Best to start at the beginning? Or is there one or two in the series that really stand out?

I'm asking for myself (interested in finding a different series of mysteries and thrillers), but also ... I'm in a book club, all old guys, and it'll be my turn soon to pick a book, and seriously, enough books about the Founding Fathers already. (Also too much of the Jim Harrison/Ivan Doig/Tom McGuane kind of thing. I feel like I know Montana intimately.) The last time someone chose a mystery/thriller, it was pretty dopey (something about a guy who used big data to find serial killers), but I know a lot of the guys found it to be relief from the endless bios of Hamilton, Jefferson, Adams, Grant, etc., etc.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Robert Crais, the author, claims it doesn't matter and says he'd start with LA Requiem, possibly his best. It wouldn't hurt to start from the beginning with The Monkey's Raincoat, also a great book.

The characters recur & gain depth, but I am nobody to argue with Mr. Crais.

robertcrais.com

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,