Favorite books?

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 pm Robert Crais, the author, claims it doesn't matter and says he'd start with LA Requiem, possibly his best. It wouldn't hurt to start from the beginning with The Monkey's Raincoat, also a great book.

The characters recur & gain depth, but I am nobody to argue with Mr. Crais.

robertcrais.com
Terrific! On my schedule for tomorrow: a stop at the library. Thanks!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Just popping back into this thread to say that while I couldn't get into Crais's "The Monkey's Raincoat," I started Rosenfelt's "Open and Shut" yesterday evening, and am really enjoying it. Already have "First Degree" downloaded from the library for a seamless transition later today. Gotta fill that metaless Monday void. (Some people have meatless Mondays, we have metaless Mondays...maybe that could be a crossword entry somewhere...)

Thanks again to everyone for these recommendations! If anyone uses Goodreads, I'm on there as Karen Spencer, and my profile pic is just a bunch of books. I don't really rate or review stuff there, but I like to see what other people are reading.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

FrankieHeck wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 am If anyone uses Goodreads, I'm on there as Karen Spencer, and my profile pic is just a bunch of books. I don't really rate or review stuff there, but I like to see what other people are reading.
I looked for you on Goodreads, but I couldn't find the books profile pic. I'm the only Laura Mendyke (no pic), so send me a friend request if you like! That goes for everyone. (I don't have any friends there tbh, I just use it to keep track of books I read.)

Please note: I don't review, just rate, and the ratings are very subjective and not really meant for anyone but me. I'll explain my "system":

1 star: I'm sorry I read this book
2 stars: Not really my thing
3 stars: I liked it--maybe even a lot--and will probably recommend it, but I don't think I want to reread it
4 stars: I loved it and want to reread it sometime
5 stars: I've read it multiple times and still love it

i don't rate a lot of 5 stars these days because I'm always too busy reading new books, but that's the theory. But I do have books rated 5 stars because I added a lot of my favorites that I read previously.

(Edited my rating descriptions to try to make it clearer that I'm not trying to judge a book's quality, just whether I enjoyed reading it)
Last edited by Laura M on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:03 pm (I don't have any friends there tbh, I just use it to keep track of books I read.)
That's the main reason I have it, too. I got tired of accidentally starting the same books over and over again. Of course now I have to remember to check my list! But occasionally I see a book pop up that someone else is reading, and it piques my interest.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

have read the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian probably 4 or 5 times in total - it's "Jane Austen for men", two guys, working together, over a long time period, one as the captain and other nominally a surgeon on the ship. British seafaring tales during the Napoleonic era.

just starting Forrester's Hornblower books.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 pm have read the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian probably 4 or 5 times in total - it's "Jane Austen for men", two guys, working together, over a long time period, one as the captain and other nominally a surgeon on the ship. British seafaring tales during the Napoleonic era.

just starting Forrester's Hornblower books.
Ooh, the Hornblower books are among my husband's favorites. I read all of them too, way back when I was trying to be interested in all the same stuff that he was :-) I liked them pretty well though they weren't entirely my thing; the early ones where Hornblower was working his way up from midshipman were the most interesting IMO. I'll have to recommend the Aubrey/Maturin books to my husband since they sound very similar to the Hornblower series.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm only part way through Hornblower book 1, very different from the Aubrey/Maturin books so far.

EDIT on Saturday - just finished it, Forester (correctly spelled this time) is a fantastic writer, and the way this story rolled to its end, I'm really looking forward to #2.

And just as rewarding a read as the O'Brian stories, so please take those up if you haven't yet.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ace Atkins has been writing novels in the Spenser series since Robert B. Parker's death. In chapter 26 of his latest, Angel Eyes, Ace gives a nod to Robert Crais by having Spenser spot Joe Pike while jogging in L.A.

Angel Eyes Joe Pike.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 am Ace Atkins has been writing novels in the Spenser series since Robert B. Parker's death. In chapter 26 of his latest, Angel Eyes, Ace gives a nod to Robert Crais by having Spenser spot Joe Pike while jogging in L.A.
Love it! Another nice touch was from David Rosenfelt -- author of the Andy Carpenter series -- in "Twelve Dogs of Christmas." At one point, Andy goes upstairs to find his girlfriend Laurie in bed, and he notes "“She’s reading a thriller by David Rosenfelt, one of the great writers of our time.”