Published weekly by expert constructor Peter Gordon, the Fireball crossword is famous for being hard. How hard? Well, in the words of Peter Gordon, if you need to ask, too hard for you! It is not regularly a meta crossword, but does feature a contest or meta puzzle a few times a year. Available here for a subscription: http://www.fireballcrosswords.com
- Posts: 683
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
- Location: St. Petersburg, FL
What musical is hinted at by this puzzle?
Actually, the construction is rather amazing! Thanks Francis Heaney.
- Posts: 542
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 pm
- Location: Matthews
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm
That was an amazingly constructed meta!
- Posts: 841
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm
- Location: San Francisco
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm
Had the answer much earlier - just didn't recognize it until just now.
- Posts: 454
- Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:16 am
- Location: Pasadena, CA
I agree with the quick solvers above-amazing construction by Francis Heaney!
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 pm
I agree--awesome construction on this one. Probably my favorite Fireball since "Bon Mot" in 2018, about the Paris arrondissements. And yet very fair. If you follow the bread crumbs, it's very doable.
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:47 am
- Posts: 932
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
- Location: Whitesboro NY
Awesome construction with a satisfying "aha."
- Posts: 85
- Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:48 am
Good smooth solve. But didn't see any meta staring at this one, per usual.
- Posts: 548
- Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 pm
Got it. Terrific puzzle! I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 pm
- Location: Biloxi
Nice Friday-Saturday level cluing. Had to Google most of the top center. Then a good bit of staring. Without the aberrant theme entry this would have tougher for me.
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 pm
That was a lovely puzzle! Challenging but totally doable. And as my pile of metas this week has not had many solves, I'm glad to say I got this one!
- Posts: 70
- Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 12:45 pm
I see the first thing. And I see the second thing. But I can't close the deal.